Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
International

Armed Man Sets Swiss Train Carriage On Fire, Stabs Passengers With Knife

Darpan News Desk IANS, 13 Aug, 2016 12:54 PM
    A man armed with a knife reportedly set a Swiss train carriage on fire using flammable liquid and stabbed six passengers on Saturday, said the police, according to reports. Six people were injured in the attack, including a six-year-old child. 
     
    The injured have been hospitalised.
     
    The man, a 27-year-old Swiss citizen, carried out the attack on a train travelling in Switzerland’s far east, along its border with Liechtenstein, and was also injured, regional police in St Gallen said in a statement.
     
    The attack is the latest in a string of violent and deadly assaults in Europe in recent months, with many claimed by the jihadist Islamic State group.
     
    The motive behind Saturday’s attack is not clear and is hard to make a comment on immediately. “According to the information we have for the time being, the 27-year-old Swiss man poured out a flammable liquid … (which) caught fire,” police said, adding that the man “was also armed with at least one knife”.
     
    The attack had taken place at around 2:20 pm (local time) near the Salez station on a train running between Buchs and Sennwald and that some of the injuries were serious. Seven people including the suspected attacker were admitted to various hospitals with burn and stab wounds, the statement said.
     
    The victims included two men aged 17 and 50, three women aged 17, 34 and 43 and the six-year-old child. Dozens of people were on the train at the time of the attack, the police statement said.
     
    A massive contingent of rescue workers rushed to the scene, including police, firefighters, ambulances and three rescue helicopters. The Salez station remains closed, and police said replacement buses had been set up. Saint Gallen prosecutors have opened a criminal investigation into the attack.
     
    This is the latest in the list of terror attacks that shook Europe in the year 2016. In January 2015, a jihadist assault on the Charlie Hebdo satirical newspaper in Paris left 12 dead while another four died in an attack on a Jewish supermarket in the city.
     
    In November 2015, a coordinated jihadist attack claimed by IS in Paris left 130 people dead.
     
    On March 22 this year, suicide bombers struck Brussels airport and a metro station in another coordinated jihadist attack claimed by IS near the European Union headquarters, killing 32 people.

    MORE International ARTICLES

    Will Seek India's Help To Address 'unstable' Nuclear-Pakistan: Donald Trump

    Trump's remarks came during a town-hall meeting in Indianapolis in response to a question on how he would deal with countries like Pakistan, which has sometimes "double dealt" with the US. 

    Will Seek India's Help To Address 'unstable' Nuclear-Pakistan: Donald Trump

    Chinese Varsity Expels Indian Students Involved In Stabbing Clash

    Chinese Varsity Expels Indian Students Involved In Stabbing Clash
    The Indian embassy in Beijing has dubbed the conduct of the students as "unacceptable".

    Chinese Varsity Expels Indian Students Involved In Stabbing Clash

    Islamic State Militants Hurl 'Gay' Man To His Death In Syria

    Islamic State Militants Hurl 'Gay' Man To His Death In Syria
    IS militants executed an allegedly homosexual man in eastern Syria by pushing him off a hospital roof, a monitoring group reported on Thursday.

    Islamic State Militants Hurl 'Gay' Man To His Death In Syria

    Donald Trump Says, 'It's Over,' He's The Republican Nominee: Here's What The Math Says

    Donald Trump Says, 'It's Over,' He's The Republican Nominee: Here's What The Math Says
    "I consider myself the presumptive nominee — absolutely."

    Donald Trump Says, 'It's Over,' He's The Republican Nominee: Here's What The Math Says

    Pepper Spray Flies During Donald Trump Protest Clash In California

    Pepper Spray Flies During Donald Trump Protest Clash In California
    No serious injuries and no arrests were reported in the clash as about 50 people confronted each other in the Orange County community

    Pepper Spray Flies During Donald Trump Protest Clash In California

    L.A. Police Determine Body Found In 1969 Near Manson Killings Was Montreal Woman

    L.A. Police Determine Body Found In 1969 Near Manson Killings Was Montreal Woman
    Los Angeles police have identified the body of a woman found stabbed 150 times in 1969 near the site of the Manson family killings as a 19-year-old from Montreal, People magazine reported Wednesday.

    L.A. Police Determine Body Found In 1969 Near Manson Killings Was Montreal Woman