Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
International

Barcelona Terrorist Attack: Van Ploughs Into Crowd, 4 Dead

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Aug, 2017 09:37 AM
    Thirteenpeople are believed to have been killed and dozens injured after a van in Barcelona ploughed into pedestrians and two men entered a restaurant with guns.
     
    Pictures and video emerging from the scene show police cars and ambulances near the Las Ramblas, a busy tree-lined promenade in the centre of the city.
     
    Gunfire was heard at the Corte Ingles store in the area after police announced a 'massive crash'.
     
     
    It is believed the van hit pedestrians before gunmen ran into a nearby restaurant to hold diners hostage.
     
     
    Eyewitnesses reported seeing people running away and screaming after the incident happened.  
     
     
    The area around the incident was cordoned off, with several ambulances and police vehicles on the scene.
     
     
     
     
    Police in Barcelona, Spain’s second-largest city, told crowds fleeing the scene by megaphone that they were dealing with a “terrorist attack”.
     
     
    The famous Las Ramblas boulevard is one of Barcelona’s busiest streets, normally thronged with tourists and street performers until well into the night.
     
     
    Spain has so far been spared the kind of extremist violence that has occurred in nearby France, Belgium and Germany.
     
     
    But it was hit by what is still Europe’s deadliest jihadist attack in March 2004, when bombs exploded on commuter trains in Madrid, killing 191 people in an attack claimed by Al Qaeda-inspired extremists.
     
     
    Vehicles have been used in several terror attacks in Europe in recent years, including a jihadist massacre that claimed 86 lives in the French Riviera city of Nice.
     
     
    That onslaught in July last year and other similar attacks were claimed by the Islamic State jihadist group.
    In July 2015, a hooded attacker opened fire outside a hotel in downtown Barcelona near Las Ramblas, leaving two people injured, police said.
     
     
    One person was struck by bullets while the other was hurt as they tried to flee the shooter, who fled the scene. No suspected motive for the attack was given.
     
     
    Spain has emerged as a potential target for jihadists, with extremist websites mentioning it for historical reasons, since much of its territory was once under Muslim rule.
     
     
    Generally, authorities in Spain—the world’s third largest tourism destination—remain discreet on the terror threat.
     
     
    But they publicise every arrest of alleged jihadists, most of them detained for propaganda, recruitment for extremist groups or “glorifying terrorism.”     
     
     
    According to the interior ministry, more than 180 “jihadist terrorists” have been arrested since June 2015 when Spain raised the terror alert level to four out of a maximum of five, in domestic and foreign operations. 

    MORE International ARTICLES

    First 100 Days Of Office Most Successful In US History, Says Trump

    On the eve of completing his first 100 days in office, President Donald Trump has said this landmark timeline has been the most successful in the US history.

    First 100 Days Of Office Most Successful In US History, Says Trump

    Dawn Leaks: Sharif Sacks Aide After News Leak Scandal, Army Rejects Move Calls Action 'Incomplete'

    Dawn Leaks: Sharif Sacks Aide After News Leak Scandal, Army Rejects Move Calls Action 'Incomplete'
    Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on Saturday approved the sacking of his Special Assistant on Foreign Affairs Tariq Fatemi due to his alleged role in "Dawn leaks", but the countrys army rejected the directives as "incomplete".

    Dawn Leaks: Sharif Sacks Aide After News Leak Scandal, Army Rejects Move Calls Action 'Incomplete'

    Police Arrest Another Nabha Jail Break Accused Sulakhan Singh

    Police Arrest Another Nabha Jail Break Accused Sulakhan Singh
    Sulakhan Singh alias Babbar Sultan was arrested from Nawanshahr bus stand at around 10.30 am

    Police Arrest Another Nabha Jail Break Accused Sulakhan Singh

    56-Year-Old Indian Man Khandu Patel Killed In Crossfire Outside US Motel

    56-Year-Old Indian Man Khandu Patel Killed In Crossfire Outside US Motel
    30 shots went off. Investigators say one of those bullets hit Mr Patel. He was standing at the back of the motel when he was shot and later died at the Regional Medical Center

    56-Year-Old Indian Man Khandu Patel Killed In Crossfire Outside US Motel

    South Africa: Indian-Origin Man Strangles 7-yr-Old Son To Death In Front Of 4-Year-Old Daughter

    An Indian-origin man has been arrested in South Africa for allegedly strangling his seven-year-old son to death while his four-year-old daughter watched in horror.

    South Africa: Indian-Origin Man Strangles 7-yr-Old Son To Death In Front Of 4-Year-Old Daughter

    She Survives Rape, Now She Has To Fight Her School's Wrath

    She Survives Rape, Now She Has To Fight Her School's Wrath
    The girl's parents have alleged that the private school denied admission to their child saying it will bring a "bad name" to it.

    She Survives Rape, Now She Has To Fight Her School's Wrath