Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
International

Britain suspends trade negotiations with Israel over Gaza aid blockade

Darpan News Desk IANS, 20 May, 2025 12:56 PM
  • Britain suspends trade negotiations with Israel over Gaza aid blockade

London, May 20 (IANS) British Foreign Secretary David Lammy announced on Tuesday that Britain has suspended trade negotiations with Israel over its Gaza blockade. Lammy also said the Israeli ambassador had been summoned.

Earlier, British Prime Minister Keir Starmer condemned the deepening humanitarian crisis in Gaza on Tuesday, describing the ongoing civilian suffering as "utterly intolerable," and called for an immediate ceasefire.

Addressing Parliament on Tuesday, Starmer said, "The level of suffering, innocent children being bombed again, is utterly intolerable," and went on to say Britain and their French and Canadian allies are "horrified by the escalation from Israel." He said an "immediate ceasefire" remains "the only way to free the hostages."

He also reaffirmed Britain's opposition to Israeli settlement expansion in the West Bank and called for a dramatic scale-up in humanitarian aid to Gaza.

"The recent announcement that Israel will allow a basic quantity of food into Gaza is totally and utterly inadequate," Starmer said. "We must coordinate our response, because this war has gone on for far too long. We cannot allow the people of Gaza to starve."

Britain, France and Canada said on Monday that "if Israel does not cease the renewed military offensive and lift its restrictions on humanitarian aid," they will take further concrete actions, Xinhua news agency reported.

In a joint statement, the three countries said that these actions could include targetted sanctions.

They described the recent Israeli escalations in Gaza as "wholly disproportionate," and emphasised that the three countries will not stand by "while the Netanyahu government pursues these egregious actions."

The statement also indicated that the three countries oppose expanding settlements in the West Bank, and urged Israel to halt settlements "which are illegal and undermine the viability of a Palestinian state and the security of both Israelis and Palestinians."

In response, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu hit back by saying that British Prime Minister Keir Starmer and his allies have offered Hamas a "huge prize," calling on "all European leaders" to follow US President Donald Trump's vision for ending the conflict.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE International ARTICLES

Pakistan Court Sentences Mumbai Attack Mastermind Hafiz Saeed To 11 Years In Jail In Terror Financing Cases

Saeed, a UN designated terrorist whom the US has placed a $10 million bounty on, was arrested on July 17 in the terror financing cases. He is lodged at the Lahore’s Kot Lakhpat jail in high security.  

Pakistan Court Sentences Mumbai Attack Mastermind Hafiz Saeed To 11 Years In Jail In Terror Financing Cases

Sacred Native American Burial Sites Blown Up For US Border Wall

Native American burial sites in Arizona have been blown up by construction crews building the US-Mexico border wall, according to lawmakers and tribal leaders.

Sacred Native American Burial Sites Blown Up For US Border Wall

US President Donald Trump And First Lady Melania Trump To Visit India February 24-25

US President Donald Trump and First Lady Melania Trump will visit India from February 24-25, during which they will also travel to Prime Minister Narendra Modis home state.  

US President Donald Trump And First Lady Melania Trump To Visit India February 24-25

WATCH: Sikh-American Couple Ravi And Jacquie Singh's Food Truck Feeds LA's Homeless

A Los Angeles-based Sikh-American couple run a food truck service, which dishes out 200 burritos on a daily basis, to feed the city's homeless, it was reported.

WATCH: Sikh-American Couple Ravi And Jacquie Singh's Food Truck Feeds LA's Homeless

Indian-Origin Doctor Manish Natverlal Shah Who Exploited Women's Cancer Fears And Sexually Assaulted Them Gets 3 Life Terms In London

Indian-Origin Doctor Manish Natverlal Shah Who Exploited Women's Cancer Fears And Sexually Assaulted Them Gets 3 Life Terms In London
Shah recommended that the patients have regular breast and vaginal examinations, when there was no clinical need. He highlighted the urgency of check-ups for cervical cancer, breast cancer and other illnesses by talking about celebrities who suffered similar conditions.  

Indian-Origin Doctor Manish Natverlal Shah Who Exploited Women's Cancer Fears And Sexually Assaulted Them Gets 3 Life Terms In London

Chinese Doctor Who First Warned About Coronavirus Dies

Coronavirus Outbreak: Doctor Li Wenliang Had Who Tried To Warn Other Medics Of The Epidemic.

Chinese Doctor Who First Warned About Coronavirus Dies