Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
International

Britain suspends trade negotiations with Israel over Gaza aid blockade

Darpan News Desk IANS, 20 May, 2025 12:56 PM
  • Britain suspends trade negotiations with Israel over Gaza aid blockade

London, May 20 (IANS) British Foreign Secretary David Lammy announced on Tuesday that Britain has suspended trade negotiations with Israel over its Gaza blockade. Lammy also said the Israeli ambassador had been summoned.

Earlier, British Prime Minister Keir Starmer condemned the deepening humanitarian crisis in Gaza on Tuesday, describing the ongoing civilian suffering as "utterly intolerable," and called for an immediate ceasefire.

Addressing Parliament on Tuesday, Starmer said, "The level of suffering, innocent children being bombed again, is utterly intolerable," and went on to say Britain and their French and Canadian allies are "horrified by the escalation from Israel." He said an "immediate ceasefire" remains "the only way to free the hostages."

He also reaffirmed Britain's opposition to Israeli settlement expansion in the West Bank and called for a dramatic scale-up in humanitarian aid to Gaza.

"The recent announcement that Israel will allow a basic quantity of food into Gaza is totally and utterly inadequate," Starmer said. "We must coordinate our response, because this war has gone on for far too long. We cannot allow the people of Gaza to starve."

Britain, France and Canada said on Monday that "if Israel does not cease the renewed military offensive and lift its restrictions on humanitarian aid," they will take further concrete actions, Xinhua news agency reported.

In a joint statement, the three countries said that these actions could include targetted sanctions.

They described the recent Israeli escalations in Gaza as "wholly disproportionate," and emphasised that the three countries will not stand by "while the Netanyahu government pursues these egregious actions."

The statement also indicated that the three countries oppose expanding settlements in the West Bank, and urged Israel to halt settlements "which are illegal and undermine the viability of a Palestinian state and the security of both Israelis and Palestinians."

In response, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu hit back by saying that British Prime Minister Keir Starmer and his allies have offered Hamas a "huge prize," calling on "all European leaders" to follow US President Donald Trump's vision for ending the conflict.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE International ARTICLES

UK General Election Likely To Throw Up Good Result For Indian-Origin Candidates

UK General Election Likely To Throw Up Good Result For Indian-Origin Candidates
The last election in 2017 had thrown up 12 Indian-origin MPs, including the first female Sikh MP Preet Kaur Gill and the first turbaned Sikh MP Tanmanjeet Singh Dhesi – both for the Opposition Labour Party.

UK General Election Likely To Throw Up Good Result For Indian-Origin Candidates

Indian-Origin Man Charged With Soliciting Clients For Pimp

Indian-Origin Man Charged With Soliciting Clients For Pimp
He also admitted to attacking two Bangladeshi nationals with a friend at a back lane in Geylang on February 15 last year for calling the police.    

Indian-Origin Man Charged With Soliciting Clients For Pimp

After Rape And Murder Post-Mortem Report Pakistan Judicial Panel Says Hindu Student Nimrita Kumari Was Under Stress, Committed Suicide

A Pakistani Hindu medical student who was found dead under mysterious circumstances in her hostel room in September, committed suicide, a Judicial Commission probing the case said on Friday, while ruling out murder.

After Rape And Murder Post-Mortem Report Pakistan Judicial Panel Says Hindu Student Nimrita Kumari Was Under Stress, Committed Suicide

VIDEO, PICS: Sikh Soldiers Of Two World Wars Honoured In Yorkshire

A 6ft-high (1.8m) statue was erected at West Yorkshire, Greenhead Park in Huddersfield for the Sikh soldiers. 

VIDEO, PICS: Sikh Soldiers Of Two World Wars Honoured In Yorkshire

Sikh Man Raman Sethi Wins Compensation For Being Denied Job Over Beard At London's Luxury Claridge’s Hotel

Sikh Man Raman Sethi Wins Compensation For Being Denied Job Over Beard At London's Luxury Claridge’s Hotel
A Sikh man has been awarded over 7,000 pounds in compensation for being denied the chance to work at the luxury Claridge’s Hotel in London over a “no-beards” policy.

Sikh Man Raman Sethi Wins Compensation For Being Denied Job Over Beard At London's Luxury Claridge’s Hotel

18 Indians Among 23 Killed In Sudan Factory Blast

Thick plumes of black smoke billowed into the sky after the blaze broke out at the ceramic tile manufacturing unit. Over 130 people were injured in the blast.    

18 Indians Among 23 Killed In Sudan Factory Blast