Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
International

Britain suspends trade negotiations with Israel over Gaza aid blockade

Darpan News Desk IANS, 20 May, 2025 12:56 PM
  • Britain suspends trade negotiations with Israel over Gaza aid blockade

London, May 20 (IANS) British Foreign Secretary David Lammy announced on Tuesday that Britain has suspended trade negotiations with Israel over its Gaza blockade. Lammy also said the Israeli ambassador had been summoned.

Earlier, British Prime Minister Keir Starmer condemned the deepening humanitarian crisis in Gaza on Tuesday, describing the ongoing civilian suffering as "utterly intolerable," and called for an immediate ceasefire.

Addressing Parliament on Tuesday, Starmer said, "The level of suffering, innocent children being bombed again, is utterly intolerable," and went on to say Britain and their French and Canadian allies are "horrified by the escalation from Israel." He said an "immediate ceasefire" remains "the only way to free the hostages."

He also reaffirmed Britain's opposition to Israeli settlement expansion in the West Bank and called for a dramatic scale-up in humanitarian aid to Gaza.

"The recent announcement that Israel will allow a basic quantity of food into Gaza is totally and utterly inadequate," Starmer said. "We must coordinate our response, because this war has gone on for far too long. We cannot allow the people of Gaza to starve."

Britain, France and Canada said on Monday that "if Israel does not cease the renewed military offensive and lift its restrictions on humanitarian aid," they will take further concrete actions, Xinhua news agency reported.

In a joint statement, the three countries said that these actions could include targetted sanctions.

They described the recent Israeli escalations in Gaza as "wholly disproportionate," and emphasised that the three countries will not stand by "while the Netanyahu government pursues these egregious actions."

The statement also indicated that the three countries oppose expanding settlements in the West Bank, and urged Israel to halt settlements "which are illegal and undermine the viability of a Palestinian state and the security of both Israelis and Palestinians."

In response, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu hit back by saying that British Prime Minister Keir Starmer and his allies have offered Hamas a "huge prize," calling on "all European leaders" to follow US President Donald Trump's vision for ending the conflict.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE International ARTICLES

Pakistan SC Suspends Imran Khan Govt Move To Extend Army Chief General Bajwa’s Tenure

The move came just ahead of 59-year-old Bajwa’s retirement on November 29.    

Pakistan SC Suspends Imran Khan Govt Move To Extend Army Chief General Bajwa’s Tenure

PICS: South African Sikhs Lauded As They Celebrate 550 Years Of Guru Nanak

The celebrations started in July with the distribution of blankets to the needy in Johannesburg and continued with food parcel distribution and other community activities.

PICS: South African Sikhs Lauded As They Celebrate 550 Years Of Guru Nanak

Chicago Campus On Edge After 19-Yr-Old Indian-American Student Ruth George Sexually Assaulted Found Strangled To Death In Parking Garage

19-year-old Indian-American student was sexually assaulted and then strangulated to death in Chicago, police said about a brutal murder that has shocked the community in the US.

Chicago Campus On Edge After 19-Yr-Old Indian-American Student Ruth George Sexually Assaulted Found Strangled To Death In Parking Garage

Victoria Govt Announces 3-Million Aussie Dollars For Indian Diaspora

Victoria is home to Australia’s largest Indian community. According to the latest census released in 2016, over 1.69 lakh India-born people live in Victoria.    

Victoria Govt Announces 3-Million Aussie Dollars For Indian Diaspora

Indian-Origin Man Convicted Of Raping Woman In New York

Indian-Origin Man Convicted Of Raping Woman In New York
An Indian-origin man has been convicted of raping a woman, after helping her find a place to live in the Queens neighbourhood here.

Indian-Origin Man Convicted Of Raping Woman In New York

26/11 Terror Attack Made Me Stronger: Chef Hemant Oberoi

It's been 11 years since the deadliest terror attack shook the nation, and its memories still echo in people's hearts and minds.

26/11 Terror Attack Made Me Stronger: Chef Hemant Oberoi