Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
International

Britain suspends trade negotiations with Israel over Gaza aid blockade

Darpan News Desk IANS, 20 May, 2025 12:56 PM
  • Britain suspends trade negotiations with Israel over Gaza aid blockade

London, May 20 (IANS) British Foreign Secretary David Lammy announced on Tuesday that Britain has suspended trade negotiations with Israel over its Gaza blockade. Lammy also said the Israeli ambassador had been summoned.

Earlier, British Prime Minister Keir Starmer condemned the deepening humanitarian crisis in Gaza on Tuesday, describing the ongoing civilian suffering as "utterly intolerable," and called for an immediate ceasefire.

Addressing Parliament on Tuesday, Starmer said, "The level of suffering, innocent children being bombed again, is utterly intolerable," and went on to say Britain and their French and Canadian allies are "horrified by the escalation from Israel." He said an "immediate ceasefire" remains "the only way to free the hostages."

He also reaffirmed Britain's opposition to Israeli settlement expansion in the West Bank and called for a dramatic scale-up in humanitarian aid to Gaza.

"The recent announcement that Israel will allow a basic quantity of food into Gaza is totally and utterly inadequate," Starmer said. "We must coordinate our response, because this war has gone on for far too long. We cannot allow the people of Gaza to starve."

Britain, France and Canada said on Monday that "if Israel does not cease the renewed military offensive and lift its restrictions on humanitarian aid," they will take further concrete actions, Xinhua news agency reported.

In a joint statement, the three countries said that these actions could include targetted sanctions.

They described the recent Israeli escalations in Gaza as "wholly disproportionate," and emphasised that the three countries will not stand by "while the Netanyahu government pursues these egregious actions."

The statement also indicated that the three countries oppose expanding settlements in the West Bank, and urged Israel to halt settlements "which are illegal and undermine the viability of a Palestinian state and the security of both Israelis and Palestinians."

In response, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu hit back by saying that British Prime Minister Keir Starmer and his allies have offered Hamas a "huge prize," calling on "all European leaders" to follow US President Donald Trump's vision for ending the conflict.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE International ARTICLES

Indian-Origin UK Woman Ravinder Deol On Trial For Allegedly Shaking Baby To Death

Ravinder Deol, 35, allegedly acted out of "pure frustration" when she killed the "incredibly small" girl in Aylesbury, central England, in 2016, Reading Crown Court was told this week.  

Indian-Origin UK Woman Ravinder Deol On Trial For Allegedly Shaking Baby To Death

Nizam's Descendants Hope To Get Share In Hyderabad Funds

The court has rejected Pakistan's claim over the funds deposited in a London Bank during Hyderabad's accession to India in 1948.    

Nizam's Descendants Hope To Get Share In Hyderabad Funds

Vancouver Police Cancel Ticket, Apologize, For Distracted Driving Citation

The son of a 71-year-old woman ticketed for distracted driving in downtown Vancouver says a $368 citation issued to his mother has been cancelled by police with an apology.

Vancouver Police Cancel Ticket, Apologize, For Distracted Driving Citation

PICS: Thousands Attend Sikh Cop Sandeep Dhaliwal's 'Fit For A King' Funeral In The US

Sandeep Dhaliwal, 42, was the first Sikh sheriff's deputy in Harris County with a population of over 10,000 Sikhs.  

PICS: Thousands Attend Sikh Cop Sandeep Dhaliwal's 'Fit For A King' Funeral In The US

RCMP Issue Warning Over Distraction Thefts After 2 Seniors Robbed

Burnaby RCMP is warning of two new types of distraction theft that have recently occurred in Burnaby.

RCMP Issue Warning Over Distraction Thefts After 2 Seniors Robbed

Indian-Origin Tech Millionaire Tushar Atre Found Dead After Being Kidnapped From His California Home

Indian-origin tech millionaire Tushar Atre who was abducted from his home in California's Santa Cruz earlier this week has been found dead inside his BMW car.

Indian-Origin Tech Millionaire Tushar Atre Found Dead After Being Kidnapped From His California Home