Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
International

Britain suspends trade negotiations with Israel over Gaza aid blockade

Darpan News Desk IANS, 20 May, 2025 12:56 PM
  • Britain suspends trade negotiations with Israel over Gaza aid blockade

London, May 20 (IANS) British Foreign Secretary David Lammy announced on Tuesday that Britain has suspended trade negotiations with Israel over its Gaza blockade. Lammy also said the Israeli ambassador had been summoned.

Earlier, British Prime Minister Keir Starmer condemned the deepening humanitarian crisis in Gaza on Tuesday, describing the ongoing civilian suffering as "utterly intolerable," and called for an immediate ceasefire.

Addressing Parliament on Tuesday, Starmer said, "The level of suffering, innocent children being bombed again, is utterly intolerable," and went on to say Britain and their French and Canadian allies are "horrified by the escalation from Israel." He said an "immediate ceasefire" remains "the only way to free the hostages."

He also reaffirmed Britain's opposition to Israeli settlement expansion in the West Bank and called for a dramatic scale-up in humanitarian aid to Gaza.

"The recent announcement that Israel will allow a basic quantity of food into Gaza is totally and utterly inadequate," Starmer said. "We must coordinate our response, because this war has gone on for far too long. We cannot allow the people of Gaza to starve."

Britain, France and Canada said on Monday that "if Israel does not cease the renewed military offensive and lift its restrictions on humanitarian aid," they will take further concrete actions, Xinhua news agency reported.

In a joint statement, the three countries said that these actions could include targetted sanctions.

They described the recent Israeli escalations in Gaza as "wholly disproportionate," and emphasised that the three countries will not stand by "while the Netanyahu government pursues these egregious actions."

The statement also indicated that the three countries oppose expanding settlements in the West Bank, and urged Israel to halt settlements "which are illegal and undermine the viability of a Palestinian state and the security of both Israelis and Palestinians."

In response, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu hit back by saying that British Prime Minister Keir Starmer and his allies have offered Hamas a "huge prize," calling on "all European leaders" to follow US President Donald Trump's vision for ending the conflict.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE International ARTICLES

Hindu Girl, Kidnapped In Pakistan, Reunited With Family: Report

Hindu Girl, Kidnapped In Pakistan, Reunited With Family: Report
Reno Kumari, resident of Rohri, was kidnapped when she was on her way to a local college on August 29.

Hindu Girl, Kidnapped In Pakistan, Reunited With Family: Report

Pakistani National Charged With Molesting 12-year-old Indian Girl In Dubai

Pakistani National Charged With Molesting 12-year-old Indian Girl In Dubai
A Pakistani man has been charged by a Dubai court for molesting a minor Indian girl inside the elevator of a residential building, a media report said.

Pakistani National Charged With Molesting 12-year-old Indian Girl In Dubai

Former Pakistan Spin Great Abdul Qadir Dies Of Cardiac Arrest

Qadir was 63-years-old and is survived by his wife, four sons and a daughter who is married to current Pakistan star batsman Umar Akmal.

Former Pakistan Spin Great Abdul Qadir Dies Of Cardiac Arrest

2 Indian Teens To Address Peace And Climate Conference In Norway

Ajay Prakash, 15, and Aman Sharma, 16 were selected to address the Oslo Pax conference in Norway in September

2 Indian Teens To Address Peace And Climate Conference In Norway

Pak Was Born With No Affection For Itself: Ex-US Defence Secretary Jim Mattis

Jim Mattis, who led the US forces into Afghanistan in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks, has a decade of experience of interactions with the military leadership in Pakistan.

Pak Was Born With No Affection For Itself: Ex-US Defence Secretary Jim Mattis

Indian-Origin Woman Sentenced Up To 6 Years For Duping Home Buyers In US

According to the testimony, Reshmi Maharaj accepted a number of deposits, totalling USD 55,500, from a prospective buyer for the purchase of a home in Queens city.  

Indian-Origin Woman Sentenced Up To 6 Years For Duping Home Buyers In US