Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
International

Britain suspends trade negotiations with Israel over Gaza aid blockade

Darpan News Desk IANS, 20 May, 2025 12:56 PM
  • Britain suspends trade negotiations with Israel over Gaza aid blockade

London, May 20 (IANS) British Foreign Secretary David Lammy announced on Tuesday that Britain has suspended trade negotiations with Israel over its Gaza blockade. Lammy also said the Israeli ambassador had been summoned.

Earlier, British Prime Minister Keir Starmer condemned the deepening humanitarian crisis in Gaza on Tuesday, describing the ongoing civilian suffering as "utterly intolerable," and called for an immediate ceasefire.

Addressing Parliament on Tuesday, Starmer said, "The level of suffering, innocent children being bombed again, is utterly intolerable," and went on to say Britain and their French and Canadian allies are "horrified by the escalation from Israel." He said an "immediate ceasefire" remains "the only way to free the hostages."

He also reaffirmed Britain's opposition to Israeli settlement expansion in the West Bank and called for a dramatic scale-up in humanitarian aid to Gaza.

"The recent announcement that Israel will allow a basic quantity of food into Gaza is totally and utterly inadequate," Starmer said. "We must coordinate our response, because this war has gone on for far too long. We cannot allow the people of Gaza to starve."

Britain, France and Canada said on Monday that "if Israel does not cease the renewed military offensive and lift its restrictions on humanitarian aid," they will take further concrete actions, Xinhua news agency reported.

In a joint statement, the three countries said that these actions could include targetted sanctions.

They described the recent Israeli escalations in Gaza as "wholly disproportionate," and emphasised that the three countries will not stand by "while the Netanyahu government pursues these egregious actions."

The statement also indicated that the three countries oppose expanding settlements in the West Bank, and urged Israel to halt settlements "which are illegal and undermine the viability of a Palestinian state and the security of both Israelis and Palestinians."

In response, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu hit back by saying that British Prime Minister Keir Starmer and his allies have offered Hamas a "huge prize," calling on "all European leaders" to follow US President Donald Trump's vision for ending the conflict.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE International ARTICLES

Sikh Priest In New Zealand Found Guilty of Sexually Abusing Children In Auckland Gurdwara Complex

The two victims were aged eight and 12 years old when Singh lured them, separately, into quiet rooms within a West Auckland gurdwara and groped their bottoms. The assaults happened in 2017.  

Sikh Priest In New Zealand Found Guilty of Sexually Abusing Children In Auckland Gurdwara Complex

Hindu Priest Attacked Near Temple In New York Days After Trump’s ‘Go Back’ Tweet

Top Indian diplomats in the US have expressed gratitude to the authorities for their support and quick action following the attack on a Hindu priest in the New York City borough of Queens.

Hindu Priest Attacked Near Temple In New York Days After Trump’s ‘Go Back’ Tweet

Indian-Origin Comedian Manjunath Naidu Dies On Stage In Dubai; Audience Thinks It's Part Of Act

The performer, originally from Chennai, passed away from a reported cardiac arrest on July 19 at the Signature Hotel. 

Indian-Origin Comedian Manjunath Naidu Dies On Stage In Dubai; Audience Thinks It's Part Of Act

Khalsa Aid’s Ravi Singh Apologises On Behalf Of The Sikh Community For 'Sikhs For Trump'

Ravi Singh of Khalsa Aid is apologising on the behalf of the Sikh community after photos of men in Sikhs for Trump community cropped up online. 

Khalsa Aid’s Ravi Singh Apologises On Behalf Of The Sikh Community For 'Sikhs For Trump'

Aid To Pak To Stay 'Suspended', Says US Report Ahead Of Imran Khan Visit

At the direction of US President Donald Trump, the United States had suspended all its security assistance to Pakistan in January 2018. This is first high-level visit by a Pakistani prime minster to the White House during the Trump administration.  

Aid To Pak To Stay 'Suspended', Says US Report Ahead Of Imran Khan Visit

Runaway Indian Boy Mohammed Pervez In Sharjah Returns Home

A 15-year-old Indian boy, who sneaked out of his home in Sharjah over two weeks ago after apparently being scolded by his mother, returned home to his family here on Friday.

Runaway Indian Boy Mohammed Pervez In Sharjah Returns Home