Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
International

Britain suspends trade negotiations with Israel over Gaza aid blockade

Darpan News Desk IANS, 20 May, 2025 12:56 PM
  • Britain suspends trade negotiations with Israel over Gaza aid blockade

London, May 20 (IANS) British Foreign Secretary David Lammy announced on Tuesday that Britain has suspended trade negotiations with Israel over its Gaza blockade. Lammy also said the Israeli ambassador had been summoned.

Earlier, British Prime Minister Keir Starmer condemned the deepening humanitarian crisis in Gaza on Tuesday, describing the ongoing civilian suffering as "utterly intolerable," and called for an immediate ceasefire.

Addressing Parliament on Tuesday, Starmer said, "The level of suffering, innocent children being bombed again, is utterly intolerable," and went on to say Britain and their French and Canadian allies are "horrified by the escalation from Israel." He said an "immediate ceasefire" remains "the only way to free the hostages."

He also reaffirmed Britain's opposition to Israeli settlement expansion in the West Bank and called for a dramatic scale-up in humanitarian aid to Gaza.

"The recent announcement that Israel will allow a basic quantity of food into Gaza is totally and utterly inadequate," Starmer said. "We must coordinate our response, because this war has gone on for far too long. We cannot allow the people of Gaza to starve."

Britain, France and Canada said on Monday that "if Israel does not cease the renewed military offensive and lift its restrictions on humanitarian aid," they will take further concrete actions, Xinhua news agency reported.

In a joint statement, the three countries said that these actions could include targetted sanctions.

They described the recent Israeli escalations in Gaza as "wholly disproportionate," and emphasised that the three countries will not stand by "while the Netanyahu government pursues these egregious actions."

The statement also indicated that the three countries oppose expanding settlements in the West Bank, and urged Israel to halt settlements "which are illegal and undermine the viability of a Palestinian state and the security of both Israelis and Palestinians."

In response, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu hit back by saying that British Prime Minister Keir Starmer and his allies have offered Hamas a "huge prize," calling on "all European leaders" to follow US President Donald Trump's vision for ending the conflict.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE International ARTICLES

Radha Soami Satsang Beas Wins 5-Year-Old Court Battle To Build Spiritual And Meditation Centre Centre In Australia

The State Administration Tribunal passed the order last week allowing the Radha Soami Satsang Beas (RSSB), Australia, to construct a spiritual and meditation centre, The West Australian reported on Thursday.

Radha Soami Satsang Beas Wins 5-Year-Old Court Battle To Build Spiritual And Meditation Centre Centre In Australia

Indian Man Charged In UAE For Assaulting Compatriot Woman; Leaving Permanent Injury

The incident happened on March 24 last year when the accused visited the 36-year-old victim's home and had a quarrel, the Khaleej Times reported on Wednesday.

Indian Man Charged In UAE For Assaulting Compatriot Woman; Leaving Permanent Injury

Indian Expat Charged With Assaulting Woman In Dubai

Indian Expat Charged With Assaulting Woman In Dubai
A 22-year-old Indian expatriate in Dubai has been charged with causing permanent injury after stomping on the face of an Indian woman, leaving her disfigured because of fracture and in constant pain, the media reported.

Indian Expat Charged With Assaulting Woman In Dubai

Film On Christchurch Mosque Shooting In The Works

A film based on the terror attacks on Christchurch mosques in New Zealand that killed 51 people is to be directed by Egyptian filmmaker and academic Moez Masoud.

Film On Christchurch Mosque Shooting In The Works

Philippines Recalling Ambassador And Consuls In Canada Over Trash Shipments

Philippines Recalling Ambassador And Consuls In Canada Over Trash Shipments
Duterte threatened last month to forcibly ship the containers of garbage back to Canada and dump some at its embassy in Manila if Canadian officials don't take back the waste. Officials later set a May 15 deadline for Canada to comply.

Philippines Recalling Ambassador And Consuls In Canada Over Trash Shipments

28-Year-Old Indian Man Jailed For 29 Months For Stalking Woman In UK

Rohit Sharma was jailed at Isleworth Crown Court in London on Wednesday after pleading guilty to stalking, harassment and failing to appear in court.

28-Year-Old Indian Man Jailed For 29 Months For Stalking Woman In UK