Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
International

Britain suspends trade negotiations with Israel over Gaza aid blockade

Darpan News Desk IANS, 20 May, 2025 12:56 PM
  • Britain suspends trade negotiations with Israel over Gaza aid blockade

London, May 20 (IANS) British Foreign Secretary David Lammy announced on Tuesday that Britain has suspended trade negotiations with Israel over its Gaza blockade. Lammy also said the Israeli ambassador had been summoned.

Earlier, British Prime Minister Keir Starmer condemned the deepening humanitarian crisis in Gaza on Tuesday, describing the ongoing civilian suffering as "utterly intolerable," and called for an immediate ceasefire.

Addressing Parliament on Tuesday, Starmer said, "The level of suffering, innocent children being bombed again, is utterly intolerable," and went on to say Britain and their French and Canadian allies are "horrified by the escalation from Israel." He said an "immediate ceasefire" remains "the only way to free the hostages."

He also reaffirmed Britain's opposition to Israeli settlement expansion in the West Bank and called for a dramatic scale-up in humanitarian aid to Gaza.

"The recent announcement that Israel will allow a basic quantity of food into Gaza is totally and utterly inadequate," Starmer said. "We must coordinate our response, because this war has gone on for far too long. We cannot allow the people of Gaza to starve."

Britain, France and Canada said on Monday that "if Israel does not cease the renewed military offensive and lift its restrictions on humanitarian aid," they will take further concrete actions, Xinhua news agency reported.

In a joint statement, the three countries said that these actions could include targetted sanctions.

They described the recent Israeli escalations in Gaza as "wholly disproportionate," and emphasised that the three countries will not stand by "while the Netanyahu government pursues these egregious actions."

The statement also indicated that the three countries oppose expanding settlements in the West Bank, and urged Israel to halt settlements "which are illegal and undermine the viability of a Palestinian state and the security of both Israelis and Palestinians."

In response, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu hit back by saying that British Prime Minister Keir Starmer and his allies have offered Hamas a "huge prize," calling on "all European leaders" to follow US President Donald Trump's vision for ending the conflict.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE International ARTICLES

'Want Halwa-Poori': Pakistan Flyers Say No To 'English Breakfast'

'Want Halwa-Poori': Pakistan Flyers Say No To 'English Breakfast'
Though not known to be the tastiest of meals, flyers still take these on board platters to heart, the Dawn reported.

'Want Halwa-Poori': Pakistan Flyers Say No To 'English Breakfast'

WATCH: Life As A Turban-Wearing SIKH American Trucker

A growing number of truckers in the U.S. are Sikhs from Punjab, India. Some of them have crossed the U.S.-Mexico border and faced detention to realize their American dream.

WATCH: Life As A Turban-Wearing SIKH American Trucker

Zakir Naik's TV Channel Blocked In Sri Lanka After Terror Attack: Report

Zakir Naik's TV Channel Blocked In Sri Lanka After Terror Attack: Report
India and Bangladesh have already banned his TV channel, which has allegedly been used by ISIS recruiters for indoctrination and brainwashing young people.

Zakir Naik's TV Channel Blocked In Sri Lanka After Terror Attack: Report

Indian, Three Indian-Origin People Killed In US: Sushma

Indian, Three Indian-Origin People Killed In US: Sushma
In a tweet, the Minister said she was informed by the Indian Ambassador about the killings that took place on Sunday evening.

Indian, Three Indian-Origin People Killed In US: Sushma

Jaish-e-Mohammed Chief Masood Azhar Listed As Global Terrorist At UN After China Removes Objections

In a huge diplomatic victory for India, the UN Security Council on Wednesday declared Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) chief Masood Azhar as a global terrorist, a move that was being blocked by China for nearly 10 years.

Jaish-e-Mohammed Chief Masood Azhar Listed As Global Terrorist At UN After China Removes Objections

Over 20,000 Indians, Among Them Punjabis, Stuck Abroad Due To India’s Biggest Ever ‘Air Crisis’

Over 20,000 Indians, Among Them Punjabis, Stuck Abroad Due To India’s Biggest Ever ‘Air Crisis’
More than 5,000 Punjab-based passengers and around 15,000 people from rest of the country have got run aground in the USA, Canada, the UK, France, Italy, Germany, Australia, Dubai and other parts of the Middle-East as an outcome of unforeseen ‘ship wrecking’ of Jet Airways fleet on April 17.

Over 20,000 Indians, Among Them Punjabis, Stuck Abroad Due To India’s Biggest Ever ‘Air Crisis’