Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
International

Britain suspends trade negotiations with Israel over Gaza aid blockade

Darpan News Desk IANS, 20 May, 2025 12:56 PM
  • Britain suspends trade negotiations with Israel over Gaza aid blockade

London, May 20 (IANS) British Foreign Secretary David Lammy announced on Tuesday that Britain has suspended trade negotiations with Israel over its Gaza blockade. Lammy also said the Israeli ambassador had been summoned.

Earlier, British Prime Minister Keir Starmer condemned the deepening humanitarian crisis in Gaza on Tuesday, describing the ongoing civilian suffering as "utterly intolerable," and called for an immediate ceasefire.

Addressing Parliament on Tuesday, Starmer said, "The level of suffering, innocent children being bombed again, is utterly intolerable," and went on to say Britain and their French and Canadian allies are "horrified by the escalation from Israel." He said an "immediate ceasefire" remains "the only way to free the hostages."

He also reaffirmed Britain's opposition to Israeli settlement expansion in the West Bank and called for a dramatic scale-up in humanitarian aid to Gaza.

"The recent announcement that Israel will allow a basic quantity of food into Gaza is totally and utterly inadequate," Starmer said. "We must coordinate our response, because this war has gone on for far too long. We cannot allow the people of Gaza to starve."

Britain, France and Canada said on Monday that "if Israel does not cease the renewed military offensive and lift its restrictions on humanitarian aid," they will take further concrete actions, Xinhua news agency reported.

In a joint statement, the three countries said that these actions could include targetted sanctions.

They described the recent Israeli escalations in Gaza as "wholly disproportionate," and emphasised that the three countries will not stand by "while the Netanyahu government pursues these egregious actions."

The statement also indicated that the three countries oppose expanding settlements in the West Bank, and urged Israel to halt settlements "which are illegal and undermine the viability of a Palestinian state and the security of both Israelis and Palestinians."

In response, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu hit back by saying that British Prime Minister Keir Starmer and his allies have offered Hamas a "huge prize," calling on "all European leaders" to follow US President Donald Trump's vision for ending the conflict.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE International ARTICLES

Indian-American PAC Endorses Kamala Harris For President

An Indian-American political action committee (PAC) has endorsed Democratic presidential candidate Senator Kamala Harris of Indian and Jamaican descent for the US presidential race.

Indian-American PAC Endorses Kamala Harris For President

China Says No Apr 23 Deadline In UN To Decide On Listing Of Azhar As Global Terrorist

After the Pulwama attack, a fresh proposal to designate Azhar under the 1267 Al Qaeda Sanctions Committee of the UN Security Council was moved by France, the UK and the US.

China Says No Apr 23 Deadline In UN To Decide On Listing Of Azhar As Global Terrorist

Tim Cook Proves He's Better Apple CEO Than Steve Jobs

Tim Cook Proves He's Better Apple CEO Than Steve Jobs
Timothy Donald Cook (known as Tim Cook by the world and "Tim Apple" by the US President Donald Trump) has proved them wrong.

Tim Cook Proves He's Better Apple CEO Than Steve Jobs

2 Indians In Dubai Get Six-Month Imprisonment For Stealing 900 Juice Boxes

2 Indians In Dubai Get Six-Month Imprisonment For Stealing 900 Juice Boxes
According to the Khaleej Times, the thefts took place in Al Barsha between April 2017 and May 2018 and the products were worth 23,760 dirhams.

2 Indians In Dubai Get Six-Month Imprisonment For Stealing 900 Juice Boxes

9-Year Indian Girl Wins $1 Million In Dubai Raffle

Eliza M's lucky ticket was purchased by her father, identified as M. The draw took place at the Dubai International Airport.

9-Year Indian Girl Wins $1 Million In Dubai Raffle

Young Indian Sailor Jagadeeswara Rao Goes Missing In Dubai Waters

Young Indian Sailor Jagadeeswara Rao Goes Missing In Dubai Waters
A 23-year-old Indian sailor aboard a ship stranded off the coast of Dubai has been reported missing since March 9, the media reported on Tuesday.

Young Indian Sailor Jagadeeswara Rao Goes Missing In Dubai Waters