Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
International

Britain suspends trade negotiations with Israel over Gaza aid blockade

Darpan News Desk IANS, 20 May, 2025 12:56 PM
  • Britain suspends trade negotiations with Israel over Gaza aid blockade

London, May 20 (IANS) British Foreign Secretary David Lammy announced on Tuesday that Britain has suspended trade negotiations with Israel over its Gaza blockade. Lammy also said the Israeli ambassador had been summoned.

Earlier, British Prime Minister Keir Starmer condemned the deepening humanitarian crisis in Gaza on Tuesday, describing the ongoing civilian suffering as "utterly intolerable," and called for an immediate ceasefire.

Addressing Parliament on Tuesday, Starmer said, "The level of suffering, innocent children being bombed again, is utterly intolerable," and went on to say Britain and their French and Canadian allies are "horrified by the escalation from Israel." He said an "immediate ceasefire" remains "the only way to free the hostages."

He also reaffirmed Britain's opposition to Israeli settlement expansion in the West Bank and called for a dramatic scale-up in humanitarian aid to Gaza.

"The recent announcement that Israel will allow a basic quantity of food into Gaza is totally and utterly inadequate," Starmer said. "We must coordinate our response, because this war has gone on for far too long. We cannot allow the people of Gaza to starve."

Britain, France and Canada said on Monday that "if Israel does not cease the renewed military offensive and lift its restrictions on humanitarian aid," they will take further concrete actions, Xinhua news agency reported.

In a joint statement, the three countries said that these actions could include targetted sanctions.

They described the recent Israeli escalations in Gaza as "wholly disproportionate," and emphasised that the three countries will not stand by "while the Netanyahu government pursues these egregious actions."

The statement also indicated that the three countries oppose expanding settlements in the West Bank, and urged Israel to halt settlements "which are illegal and undermine the viability of a Palestinian state and the security of both Israelis and Palestinians."

In response, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu hit back by saying that British Prime Minister Keir Starmer and his allies have offered Hamas a "huge prize," calling on "all European leaders" to follow US President Donald Trump's vision for ending the conflict.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE International ARTICLES

Indian-American admits to multi-million kickback, bribery scheme

Indian-American admits to multi-million kickback, bribery scheme
Srinivasa Raju, 51, of Haskell, New Jersey, pleaded guilty by videoconference before US District Judge Michael A. Shipp to information charging him with conspiring to violate the federal anti-kickback statute. According to court documents, Raju had various responsibilities at the Morris County pharmacy, including coordinating prescription deliveries and soliciting business.

Indian-American admits to multi-million kickback, bribery scheme

WHO worried about surge of COVID in China amid lack of info

WHO worried about surge of COVID in China amid lack of info
GENEVA (AP) — The head of the World Health Organization said Wednesday the agency is “concerned about the risk to life in China” amid the coronavirus’ explosive spread across the country and the lack of outbreak data from the Chinese government.

WHO worried about surge of COVID in China amid lack of info

Indian-American surgeon gets 5-years jail for accepting bribes

Indian-American surgeon gets 5-years jail for accepting bribes
Lokesh S. Tantuwaya, 55, of San Diego, California, performed surgeries at a now-defunct hospital in Long Beach. He was sentenced by US District Judge Josephine L Staton, who also ordered him to forfeit his ill-gotten gains of $3.3 million, a Department of Justice statement noted.

Indian-American surgeon gets 5-years jail for accepting bribes

Indian-origin doc in UK found guilty of 25 sexual assaults

Indian-origin doc in UK found guilty of 25 sexual assaults
Manish Shah, 53, has been found guilty of 25 sexual assaults against four women at his GP clinic in Romford, east London, the BBC reported. After the latest verdict, Shah is now convicted of 115 offences of sexual assault and assault by penetration against 28 women, aged between 15 and 34.

Indian-origin doc in UK found guilty of 25 sexual assaults

Indian-American convicted in $463 mn healthcare fraud

Indian-American convicted in $463 mn healthcare fraud
According to court documents and evidence presented at the trial on Wednesday, Atlanta-based Minal Patel, 44, owned LabSolutions LLC -- a lab enrolled with Medicare that performed sophisticated genetic tests.

Indian-American convicted in $463 mn healthcare fraud

Indian lecturer wins discrimination case against UK university

Indian lecturer wins discrimination case against UK university
While 11 out of her 12 white colleagues were reappointed after their contracts ended, Sharma, hired as a senior lecturer in 2016, was not given her job back. The tribunal ruled that Sharma was the victim of subconscious discrimination and described the selection process as being "tainted by race discrimination"

Indian lecturer wins discrimination case against UK university