Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
International

Britain suspends trade negotiations with Israel over Gaza aid blockade

Darpan News Desk IANS, 20 May, 2025 12:56 PM
  • Britain suspends trade negotiations with Israel over Gaza aid blockade

London, May 20 (IANS) British Foreign Secretary David Lammy announced on Tuesday that Britain has suspended trade negotiations with Israel over its Gaza blockade. Lammy also said the Israeli ambassador had been summoned.

Earlier, British Prime Minister Keir Starmer condemned the deepening humanitarian crisis in Gaza on Tuesday, describing the ongoing civilian suffering as "utterly intolerable," and called for an immediate ceasefire.

Addressing Parliament on Tuesday, Starmer said, "The level of suffering, innocent children being bombed again, is utterly intolerable," and went on to say Britain and their French and Canadian allies are "horrified by the escalation from Israel." He said an "immediate ceasefire" remains "the only way to free the hostages."

He also reaffirmed Britain's opposition to Israeli settlement expansion in the West Bank and called for a dramatic scale-up in humanitarian aid to Gaza.

"The recent announcement that Israel will allow a basic quantity of food into Gaza is totally and utterly inadequate," Starmer said. "We must coordinate our response, because this war has gone on for far too long. We cannot allow the people of Gaza to starve."

Britain, France and Canada said on Monday that "if Israel does not cease the renewed military offensive and lift its restrictions on humanitarian aid," they will take further concrete actions, Xinhua news agency reported.

In a joint statement, the three countries said that these actions could include targetted sanctions.

They described the recent Israeli escalations in Gaza as "wholly disproportionate," and emphasised that the three countries will not stand by "while the Netanyahu government pursues these egregious actions."

The statement also indicated that the three countries oppose expanding settlements in the West Bank, and urged Israel to halt settlements "which are illegal and undermine the viability of a Palestinian state and the security of both Israelis and Palestinians."

In response, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu hit back by saying that British Prime Minister Keir Starmer and his allies have offered Hamas a "huge prize," calling on "all European leaders" to follow US President Donald Trump's vision for ending the conflict.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE International ARTICLES

Women Must Know They Are Not Second-Class Citizens: Indra Nooyi

Women must not see themselves as second-class citizens and know that they too have arrived on the scene, Indra Nooyi, who has broken many glass ceilings as a businesswoman, said on Sunday.

Women Must Know They Are Not Second-Class Citizens: Indra Nooyi

Businesswoman Indra Nooyi Inducted Into National Portrait Gallery

Indian-American and former Pepsico head Indra Nooyi was on Sunday inducted into the prestigious Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery along with Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos in recognition of their accomplishments, impacting America’s shared history, development and culture.

Businesswoman Indra Nooyi Inducted Into National Portrait Gallery

Another Human Rights Activist Idris Khattak Kidnapped In Pakistan

In yet another incident, a human rights activist was kidnapped by four unidentified men in Pakistan's Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, media reports said.    

Another Human Rights Activist Idris Khattak Kidnapped In Pakistan

Documents Reveal China's Hardline Stance Towards Uighurs

The documents were leaked to The New York Times by a member of the Chinese political establishment in an effort to hold President Xi accountable for the mass detentions.

Documents Reveal China's Hardline Stance Towards Uighurs

Another Indian In US Green Card Backlog List Dies; Pregnant Wife Told To Go Home

A US-based Indian professional, whose name was listed in the Green Card backlog, died suddenly and as a result his newly-wedded wife has been rendered out of status resulting in her inevitable return to India, a media report said.

Another Indian In US Green Card Backlog List Dies; Pregnant Wife Told To Go Home

Indian-Origin Man Pleads Guilty To Defrauding Us Dept Of Veterans Affairs With $29 Million

Indian-Origin Man Pleads Guilty To Defrauding Us Dept Of Veterans Affairs With $29 Million
An Indian-origin owner of a local technical training school in San Diego pleaded guilty to defrauding the US Department of Veterans Affairs out of more than US$ 29 million in education benefits meant for veterans.

Indian-Origin Man Pleads Guilty To Defrauding Us Dept Of Veterans Affairs With $29 Million