Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
International

Manchester Airport Pipe Bomb Plot: Nadeem Muhammad Guilty

IANS, 08 Aug, 2017 12:45 PM
    A 43-year-old Pakistan-born man with an Italian passport was on Tuesday found guilty of trying to smuggle a pipe bomb onto a plane at Manchester Airport.
     
     
    Nadeem Muhammad was convicted of possessing explosives with intent to endanger life at Manchester Crown Court today after prosecutors presented evidence that he intended to detonate the device on a Boeing 737 flight to Bergamo, Italy.
     
     
    The jury did not believe Muhammad’s claim in court that he had never seen the device before. He will be sentenced at the same court on August 23.
     
     
    “Despite extensive investigation, Nadeem Muhammad’s motive for attempting to take this device onto a plane remains unknown. However it is clear that the consequences, had he been successful could have been disastrous,” said Sue Hemmings from the UK’s Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).
     
     
    The court was told that Muhammad was planning to board a Ryanair flight to Italy on January 30 this year when security officers uncovered the device, made of masking tape, batteries, the tube of a marker pen, pins and wires, in the zip lining of his small green suitcase.
     
     
    Security officers at the airport had not initially believed the bomb was viable and, after being questioned by counter-terrorism police, Muhammad was released and allowed to board another flight to Bergamo, near Milan, five days later.
     
     
    The device was later passed on to counter terrorism experts for examination, who found it to be a “potentially viable” bomb containing nitroglycerin and nitrocellulose.
     
     
    Muhammad was eventually arrested when he returned to the UK from Italy on February 12.
     
     
    A spokesperson for Manchester Airport said the actions of staff had “prevented a potentially dangerous item from being taken on board an aircraft”.
     
     
    “In this instance, the actions of our security team led to the detection of a suspicious device [and] following its detection, our team handed the passenger and the device over to the police to investigate further,” he said.
     
     
    Muhammad was seen crying in court as the jury returned its guilty verdict, reached by a majority of 10 to two after almost 16 hours of deliberations. 

    MORE International ARTICLES

    Release Of Indian 'Child Abductor' Sparks Backlash In Italy

    Release Of Indian 'Child Abductor' Sparks Backlash In Italy
    The release of an Indian migrant accused of trying to abduct a small girl from a Sicilian beach resort has riled conservative Italian politicians and sparked calls for his deportation.

    Release Of Indian 'Child Abductor' Sparks Backlash In Italy

    Donald Trump Changes Tone On Immigration

    Donald Trump Changes Tone On Immigration
    Republican presidential nominee Donald J. Trump, appearing to temper his hard-line approach to tackling immigration, said on Monday that he wants to come up with a plan that is "really fair" to address the millions of undocumented immigrants now in the US.

    Donald Trump Changes Tone On Immigration

    Brother Gifts Sister Toilet On Raksha Bandhan, Wants People To Follow His Lead

    Brother Gifts Sister Toilet On Raksha Bandhan, Wants People To Follow His Lead
    Pintu, resident of Ramgarh in Jharkhand, cited the Swachh Bharat mission and argued against open defecation, saying it is not healthy.

    Brother Gifts Sister Toilet On Raksha Bandhan, Wants People To Follow His Lead

    Indian American Congressman Ami Bera's Father Sentenced Over Election Fraud

    Indian American Congressman Ami Bera's Father Sentenced Over Election Fraud
    Babulal Bera had earlier admitted before federal Judge Troy L. Nunley in Sacramento, California, that he had illegally contributed $268,726 to the election campaigns in 2009 and 2011 through fraud.

    Indian American Congressman Ami Bera's Father Sentenced Over Election Fraud

    Now German Conservatives Back Partial Ban On Face Veils

    Now German Conservatives Back Partial Ban On Face Veils
    BERLIN — Security officials from German Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservative bloc on Friday proposed a ban on wearing the burqa and other face-covering veils in public schools, courts, while driving and in other situations.

    Now German Conservatives Back Partial Ban On Face Veils

    Donald Trump Owes $650 Million In Debt: New York Times

    Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump's real estate holdings in the US have at least $650 million in debt - twice the amount than the public filings he has made as part of his bid for the White House, according to an investigative report by the New York Times.

    Donald Trump Owes $650 Million In Debt: New York Times