Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
International

Manchester Airport Pipe Bomb Plot: Nadeem Muhammad Guilty

IANS, 08 Aug, 2017 12:45 PM
    A 43-year-old Pakistan-born man with an Italian passport was on Tuesday found guilty of trying to smuggle a pipe bomb onto a plane at Manchester Airport.
     
     
    Nadeem Muhammad was convicted of possessing explosives with intent to endanger life at Manchester Crown Court today after prosecutors presented evidence that he intended to detonate the device on a Boeing 737 flight to Bergamo, Italy.
     
     
    The jury did not believe Muhammad’s claim in court that he had never seen the device before. He will be sentenced at the same court on August 23.
     
     
    “Despite extensive investigation, Nadeem Muhammad’s motive for attempting to take this device onto a plane remains unknown. However it is clear that the consequences, had he been successful could have been disastrous,” said Sue Hemmings from the UK’s Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).
     
     
    The court was told that Muhammad was planning to board a Ryanair flight to Italy on January 30 this year when security officers uncovered the device, made of masking tape, batteries, the tube of a marker pen, pins and wires, in the zip lining of his small green suitcase.
     
     
    Security officers at the airport had not initially believed the bomb was viable and, after being questioned by counter-terrorism police, Muhammad was released and allowed to board another flight to Bergamo, near Milan, five days later.
     
     
    The device was later passed on to counter terrorism experts for examination, who found it to be a “potentially viable” bomb containing nitroglycerin and nitrocellulose.
     
     
    Muhammad was eventually arrested when he returned to the UK from Italy on February 12.
     
     
    A spokesperson for Manchester Airport said the actions of staff had “prevented a potentially dangerous item from being taken on board an aircraft”.
     
     
    “In this instance, the actions of our security team led to the detection of a suspicious device [and] following its detection, our team handed the passenger and the device over to the police to investigate further,” he said.
     
     
    Muhammad was seen crying in court as the jury returned its guilty verdict, reached by a majority of 10 to two after almost 16 hours of deliberations. 

    MORE International ARTICLES

    Massive Fiery Highway Crash In Montreal Claims The Life Of One Person

    Massive Fiery Highway Crash In Montreal Claims The Life Of One Person
    Provincial police spokesman Jimmy Potvin said the victim, the driver of the tanker truck, was a man in his 40s.

    Massive Fiery Highway Crash In Montreal Claims The Life Of One Person

    Donald Trump Accused Of Hinting Hillary Clinton’s Assassination By Guns Rights Supporters

    The ‘assassination threat’ report drew a lot of criticism for Trump as well as for the media as some campaigners for gun control expressed outrage at his off-the-cuff remark while others rebuffed the report as a ‘distraction created by the dishonest media.’

    Donald Trump Accused Of Hinting Hillary Clinton’s Assassination By Guns Rights Supporters

    US troops abandoned weapons during clash with ISIS in Afghanistan

    US troops abandoned weapons during clash with ISIS in Afghanistan
    The Pentagon had previously indicated that photos of the military items that surfaced on internet by ISIS this weekend were in all likelihood American.

    US troops abandoned weapons during clash with ISIS in Afghanistan

    US University Appoints 1st Director For Hindu Life, Hindu Priest

    US University Appoints 1st Director For Hindu Life, Hindu Priest
    "I am pleased to announce the appointment of Brahmachari Vrajvihari Sharan as Georgetown's first full-time Director for Hindu Life and the first Hindu priest chaplain in the United States

    US University Appoints 1st Director For Hindu Life, Hindu Priest

    Indian-American Woman Defeated In Vermont LG Primary

    Indian-American Woman Defeated In Vermont LG Primary
    Indian-Jewish-American Kesha, 29, lost the Democratic primary for Vermont Lt Governor to David Zuckerman who won the election yesterday with 45 per cent of the votes. She came a distant third with just 18 per cent of the votes.

    Indian-American Woman Defeated In Vermont LG Primary

    Wants To Debate 'Very Badly' With Hillary Clinton: Donald Trump

    Wants To Debate 'Very Badly' With Hillary Clinton: Donald Trump
    I will absolutely do three debates. I want to debate very badly. But I have to see the conditions

    Wants To Debate 'Very Badly' With Hillary Clinton: Donald Trump