Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
International

Medical leader urges caution amid reports of Indians seeking early C-Sections to beat Trump citizenship order

Darpan News Desk IANS, 23 Jan, 2025 12:38 PM
  • Medical leader urges caution amid reports of Indians seeking early C-Sections to beat Trump citizenship order

New York, Jan 23 (IANS) Amid reports of Indians in the US on temporary visas requesting early C-Sections to speed up the birth of babies to beat President Donald Trump’s order restricting birthright citizenship, a leader in the Indian medical community has expressed scepticism about the feasibility.

Indian mothers with babies on the way were reported to be asking obstetricians to conduct C-Sections before February 19, the deadline for Trump’s order ending automatic citizenship for anyone born in the US comes into force, limiting the right to only babies of citizens and Green Cardholders.

The executive order issued soon after Trump was sworn in is under legal challenges from several states that say it is unconstitutional.

Dr Avinash Gupta, the regional director of the American Association of Physicians of Indian Origin (AAPI) said that he had seen reports of some Indians approaching obstetricians to schedule C-Sections to beat the deadline but said he was sceptical.

He said there were ethical and legal issues in carrying out the procedure without medical necessity months or weeks ahead of the due date.

“I don’t think that any doctor would do that,” he said.

While it may be permissible to move a C-Section already scheduled or if valid reasons arise by a week or so, there would be serious issues with doing it months or even weeks early for non-medical reasons, he cautioned.

Babies born prematurely face many health problems, some of them very serious, and a doctor could be liable for medical malpractice, he said.

The statute of limitations – the time before which a case can be filed – extends to the age of 18 for a child, and doctors may find themselves sued years later if there had been complications, he said.

Although Republicans had claimed that the birthright order would apply to only those here illegally, the wording of the order, cleverly titled as “Protecting the Meaning and Value of American Citizenship”, restricts citizenship to only children of citizens or Green Cardholders.

This would exclude the children of hundreds of thousands of Indians on H1-B visas for professionals, L1 visas for intra-company transferees, and other visas including those for students and visiting academics.

That has set off a wave of panic causing some expectant Indian parents to explore early C-Sections, according to reports.

Trump’s order, however, is being challenged by 22 states and two cities in federal courts.

The order runs counter to the legal interpretations of the Consitutions14th Amendment that guarantees citizenship to “all persons born” in the US and further says, "No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States”.

However, it may take three to five years for the case to be finally resolved, according to the law firm of Reddy, Neumann, Brown which specialises in immigration matters.

The firm said that the babies may apply for dependent nonimmigrant status under their parent’s visas and later pursue other avenues for permanent status or citizenship, like sponsorship by their parents when they become eligible for Green Cards.

 

MORE International ARTICLES

Dubai-based Indian Ajay Sobhraj Donates Entire Property For Quarantine

Indian businessman Ajay Sobhraj, founder and Chairman of Dubai-based Finja Jewellery, has donated a building he owns to be used as a quarantine centre for the treatment of people infected with the novel coronavirus, it was reported.

Dubai-based Indian Ajay Sobhraj Donates Entire Property For Quarantine

Harry-Meghan Must Pay For Security: Trump

American President Donald Trump has said that the US would not foot the bill for the UK's Prince Harry and his wife Meghan Markle's security amid reports that the couple have moved to California from Canada, the media reported.    

Harry-Meghan Must Pay For Security: Trump

B.C. Measures Appear To Have Slowed The Increase In Covid-19: Health Officer

VICTORIA - British Columbia's provincial health officer says she's starting to see "glimmers of hope" in the fight against COVID-19 with an apparent flattening in the number of cases.    

B.C. Measures Appear To Have Slowed The Increase In Covid-19: Health Officer

Bhajji Tweets Of Korean Show 'Predicting' Covid-19, Video Now Missing From His Twitter

Cricketer Harbhajan Singh has tweeted about a Korean Netflix show named "My Secret Terrius", which had seemingly predicted the coronavirus outbreak in 2018 in one of its early episodes.

Bhajji Tweets Of Korean Show 'Predicting' Covid-19, Video Now Missing From His Twitter

Covid-19: NRI Medic Offers Hospital To Govt

Covid-19: NRI Medic Offers Hospital To Govt
As India wages a war against the deadly coronavirus pandemic, an Indian-born entrepreneur, Shamsheer Vayalil, has come forward to offer his support towards setting up a hospital exclusively for the treatment of Covid-19 patients.    

Covid-19: NRI Medic Offers Hospital To Govt

Efforts Underway To Help Stranded Indian Passengers At Dubai Airport

Efforts Underway To Help Stranded Indian Passengers At Dubai Airport
Authorities in Dubai taking steps to help stranded passengers, including 22 Indians, who were in transit at the airport here when their home countries suddenly stopped inbound flights due to the coronavirus pandemic, it was reported on Friday.

Efforts Underway To Help Stranded Indian Passengers At Dubai Airport