Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
International

Medical leader urges caution amid reports of Indians seeking early C-Sections to beat Trump citizenship order

Darpan News Desk IANS, 23 Jan, 2025 12:38 PM
  • Medical leader urges caution amid reports of Indians seeking early C-Sections to beat Trump citizenship order

New York, Jan 23 (IANS) Amid reports of Indians in the US on temporary visas requesting early C-Sections to speed up the birth of babies to beat President Donald Trump’s order restricting birthright citizenship, a leader in the Indian medical community has expressed scepticism about the feasibility.

Indian mothers with babies on the way were reported to be asking obstetricians to conduct C-Sections before February 19, the deadline for Trump’s order ending automatic citizenship for anyone born in the US comes into force, limiting the right to only babies of citizens and Green Cardholders.

The executive order issued soon after Trump was sworn in is under legal challenges from several states that say it is unconstitutional.

Dr Avinash Gupta, the regional director of the American Association of Physicians of Indian Origin (AAPI) said that he had seen reports of some Indians approaching obstetricians to schedule C-Sections to beat the deadline but said he was sceptical.

He said there were ethical and legal issues in carrying out the procedure without medical necessity months or weeks ahead of the due date.

“I don’t think that any doctor would do that,” he said.

While it may be permissible to move a C-Section already scheduled or if valid reasons arise by a week or so, there would be serious issues with doing it months or even weeks early for non-medical reasons, he cautioned.

Babies born prematurely face many health problems, some of them very serious, and a doctor could be liable for medical malpractice, he said.

The statute of limitations – the time before which a case can be filed – extends to the age of 18 for a child, and doctors may find themselves sued years later if there had been complications, he said.

Although Republicans had claimed that the birthright order would apply to only those here illegally, the wording of the order, cleverly titled as “Protecting the Meaning and Value of American Citizenship”, restricts citizenship to only children of citizens or Green Cardholders.

This would exclude the children of hundreds of thousands of Indians on H1-B visas for professionals, L1 visas for intra-company transferees, and other visas including those for students and visiting academics.

That has set off a wave of panic causing some expectant Indian parents to explore early C-Sections, according to reports.

Trump’s order, however, is being challenged by 22 states and two cities in federal courts.

The order runs counter to the legal interpretations of the Consitutions14th Amendment that guarantees citizenship to “all persons born” in the US and further says, "No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States”.

However, it may take three to five years for the case to be finally resolved, according to the law firm of Reddy, Neumann, Brown which specialises in immigration matters.

The firm said that the babies may apply for dependent nonimmigrant status under their parent’s visas and later pursue other avenues for permanent status or citizenship, like sponsorship by their parents when they become eligible for Green Cards.

 

MORE International ARTICLES

UN Appoints Indian As Controller And ASG In Management Strategy, Policy & Compliance Department

Chandramouli Ramanathan has been appointed as the world body's controller by Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, according to his spokesperson Stephane Dujarric.

UN Appoints Indian As Controller And ASG In Management Strategy, Policy & Compliance Department

PR Firm Suspends Contract With Former B.C. Premier Gordon Campbell Amid Groping Accusation

A global communications marketing firm says it is suspending its contract with former British Columbia premier Gordon Campbell in light of an allegation in a British newspaper that he groped a woman in the United Kingdom.

PR Firm Suspends Contract With Former B.C. Premier Gordon Campbell Amid Groping Accusation

Pulwama Attack: In Condolence Message To India, China Skips Mention Of Pakistan, JeM Chief Masood Azhar

Though countries like the US, the UK, Russia and France have asserted that they stand with India in combating the menace of terrorism, China still refuses to change its stand on Jaish chief Masood Azhar.  

Pulwama Attack: In Condolence Message To India, China Skips Mention Of Pakistan, JeM Chief Masood Azhar

World Condemns Pakistan-Backed Terror Attack In J&K On CRPF Jawans

"The US strongly condemns today's terrorist attack in Jammu & Kashmir," tweeted US Ambassador to India Kenneth Juster.

World Condemns Pakistan-Backed Terror Attack In J&K On CRPF Jawans

US Drug Czar Uttam Dhillon Welcomes El Chapo's Conviction

Guzman, 61, was found guilty on all 10 counts at his high-profile drug-trafficking trial at a federal court in New York on Tuesday.

US Drug Czar Uttam Dhillon Welcomes El Chapo's Conviction

‘America Land Of Opportunities Where Failure Not Stigma’

‘America Land Of Opportunities Where Failure Not Stigma’
America is a land of opportunities where failure is considered not as a stigma but a path to success, a top Indian-American entrepreneur and philanthropist from the Silicon Valley told a group of newly-naturalised US citizens.

‘America Land Of Opportunities Where Failure Not Stigma’