Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
International

Members named to panel probing WHO's pandemic response

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Sep, 2020 08:58 PM
  • Members named to panel probing WHO's pandemic response

An independent panel appointed by the World Health Organization to review its co-ordination of the response to the COVID-19 pandemic will have full access to any internal U.N. agency documents, materials and emails necessary, the panel said Thursday as it begins the probe.

The panel's co-chairs, former Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf and former New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark, announced the 11 other members during a media briefing. They include Dr. Joanne Liu, who was an outspoken WHO critic while leading Medecins Sans Frontieres during the 2014-2016 Ebola outbreak in West Africa.

Also named to the panel are: Dr. Zhong Nanshan, a renowned Chinese doctor who was the first to publicly confirm human-to-human transmission of the coronavirus; Mark Dybul, who led the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria; and David Miliband, a former British foreign secretary who is CEO of the International Rescue Committee.

Clark said she and Johnson Sirleaf chose the panel members independently and that WHO did not attempt to influence their choices.

“We look forward to a period of intense work together at a key moment in history. We must honour the more than 25.6 million people known to have contracted the disease and the 850,000 and counting who have died from COVID-19,” Johnson Sirleaf said.

The panel scheduled its first meeting for Sept. 17 and plans to meet every six weeks between then and April. It expects to brief WHO on the group's initial progress in November before presenting a final report next year.

WHO bowed to calls from most of its member states in May to launch an independent investigation of how it managed the international response to the coronavirus after the United States accused the U.N. health agency of mismanaging the early phase of the pandemic and colluding with China to hide the extent of the outbreak there.

President Donald Trump pulled the U.S. out of WHO earlier this year after calling the agency a “puppet” of China.

In June, the Associated Press found that China delayed releasing critical information to WHO, including the virus' genetic sequence, for weeks in January. Internal recordings of WHO meetings revealed officials were frustrated at the lack of data-sharing while Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus publicly praised China for its speed and transparency.

To uncover how the global response to COVID-19 was managed, “we may ask decision-makers what kept them up at night," Clark said. The panel also plans to examine what WHO and national governments might have done differently had they known more about the coronavirus.

She said WHO had “made it clear their files are an open book” and that the panel members would have access to any internal documents or materials they wanted, although no such requests have yet been made. As a U.N. agency, WHO is not subject to any freedom of information requests and does not routinely make its internal deliberations public.

The panel is financed by WHO and has its own staff in Geneva, led by Dr. Anders Nordstrom, a former acting director-general at the agency.

MORE International ARTICLES

Buddhist Monk Arrested In Bodh Gaya For Alleged Sexual Abuse Of 15 Boys

Buddhist Monk Arrested In Bodh Gaya For Alleged Sexual Abuse Of 15 Boys
The monk ran an institution in Mastipur village in Bodh Gaya where the 15 children - all from the Karbi Anglong district in Assam - were studying.

Buddhist Monk Arrested In Bodh Gaya For Alleged Sexual Abuse Of 15 Boys

US Extends Suspension Of Premium Processing For H-1B Visas

US Extends Suspension Of Premium Processing For H-1B Visas
The US has extended the temporary suspension of premium processing for H1-B visas, popular among Indian IT professionals, as part of its efforts to clear the backlog.

US Extends Suspension Of Premium Processing For H-1B Visas

2 Pro-Khalistan Campaigners Charged With Attack On DSGMC Chief Manjit Singh GK

2 Pro-Khalistan Campaigners Charged With Attack On DSGMC Chief Manjit Singh GK
Two pro-Khalistan supporters, Sukhwinder Singh and Gurdeep Singh, have been charged for the attack on DSGMC chief and Akali leader Manjit Singh GK by California’s Sutter County Sheriff’s office. 

2 Pro-Khalistan Campaigners Charged With Attack On DSGMC Chief Manjit Singh GK

My Caste Was Flagged For Edge In Polls, Says Ex-AAP Leader Ashutosh

My Caste Was Flagged For Edge In Polls, Says Ex-AAP Leader Ashutosh
Former Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader Ashutosh on Wednesday accused AAP of using his surname for caste politics, only to clarify just two hours later that he has been misunderstood and he is not part of the 'anti-AAP brigade'.

My Caste Was Flagged For Edge In Polls, Says Ex-AAP Leader Ashutosh

Angry Woman In UK Gets Indian Boyfriend KAMALJIT SAGOO Arrested For Drunk Driving

Angry Woman In UK Gets Indian Boyfriend KAMALJIT SAGOO Arrested For Drunk Driving
An Indian-origin man in the UK has been fined and banned from driving for 17 months after his angry girlfriend called police for drunk driving.

Angry Woman In UK Gets Indian Boyfriend KAMALJIT SAGOO Arrested For Drunk Driving

2 Indians Held For Entering Us Illegally From Mexico

2 Indians Held For Entering Us Illegally From Mexico
Two Indian nationals were among 19 people arrested by the US border patrol officials in California for entering the country illegally by boat from Mexico.

2 Indians Held For Entering Us Illegally From Mexico