Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
International

Members named to panel probing WHO's pandemic response

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Sep, 2020 08:58 PM
  • Members named to panel probing WHO's pandemic response

An independent panel appointed by the World Health Organization to review its co-ordination of the response to the COVID-19 pandemic will have full access to any internal U.N. agency documents, materials and emails necessary, the panel said Thursday as it begins the probe.

The panel's co-chairs, former Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf and former New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark, announced the 11 other members during a media briefing. They include Dr. Joanne Liu, who was an outspoken WHO critic while leading Medecins Sans Frontieres during the 2014-2016 Ebola outbreak in West Africa.

Also named to the panel are: Dr. Zhong Nanshan, a renowned Chinese doctor who was the first to publicly confirm human-to-human transmission of the coronavirus; Mark Dybul, who led the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria; and David Miliband, a former British foreign secretary who is CEO of the International Rescue Committee.

Clark said she and Johnson Sirleaf chose the panel members independently and that WHO did not attempt to influence their choices.

“We look forward to a period of intense work together at a key moment in history. We must honour the more than 25.6 million people known to have contracted the disease and the 850,000 and counting who have died from COVID-19,” Johnson Sirleaf said.

The panel scheduled its first meeting for Sept. 17 and plans to meet every six weeks between then and April. It expects to brief WHO on the group's initial progress in November before presenting a final report next year.

WHO bowed to calls from most of its member states in May to launch an independent investigation of how it managed the international response to the coronavirus after the United States accused the U.N. health agency of mismanaging the early phase of the pandemic and colluding with China to hide the extent of the outbreak there.

President Donald Trump pulled the U.S. out of WHO earlier this year after calling the agency a “puppet” of China.

In June, the Associated Press found that China delayed releasing critical information to WHO, including the virus' genetic sequence, for weeks in January. Internal recordings of WHO meetings revealed officials were frustrated at the lack of data-sharing while Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus publicly praised China for its speed and transparency.

To uncover how the global response to COVID-19 was managed, “we may ask decision-makers what kept them up at night," Clark said. The panel also plans to examine what WHO and national governments might have done differently had they known more about the coronavirus.

She said WHO had “made it clear their files are an open book” and that the panel members would have access to any internal documents or materials they wanted, although no such requests have yet been made. As a U.N. agency, WHO is not subject to any freedom of information requests and does not routinely make its internal deliberations public.

The panel is financed by WHO and has its own staff in Geneva, led by Dr. Anders Nordstrom, a former acting director-general at the agency.

MORE International ARTICLES

No Beards Allowed, Says Bengaluru College. This Is Their Reason

No Beards Allowed, Says Bengaluru College. This Is Their Reason
Students of Adarsha College of Nursing in Bengaluru had alleged that they were not allowed to sit in the classroom because they refused to shave their beard.

No Beards Allowed, Says Bengaluru College. This Is Their Reason

Somnath Bharti Tells Court Matrimonial Dispute With Wife Settled

Somnath Bharti Tells Court Matrimonial Dispute With Wife Settled
The court listed the matter for further hearing on March 7 next year and stayed the proceedings in the trial court.

Somnath Bharti Tells Court Matrimonial Dispute With Wife Settled

Britain To Decide On Pro-Khalistan Rally On August 12: India

Britain To Decide On Pro-Khalistan Rally On August 12: India
Ahead of a pro-Khalistan rally scheduled in London on August 12, India on Thursday said it is for Britain to decide whether to allow an event that seeks to promote violence and secessionism.

Britain To Decide On Pro-Khalistan Rally On August 12: India

Indian Govt Close To Securing Nabha jailbreak mastermind Ramanjit Singh Romi’s Extradition

 He is wanted by Interpol for his alleged role in terrorist activities and targeted killings in Punjab.

Indian Govt Close To Securing Nabha jailbreak mastermind Ramanjit Singh Romi’s Extradition

Over 21,000 Indians Overstayed Visas In US Last Year: Report

Over 21,000 Indians Overstayed Visas In US Last Year: Report
In 2017, more than 21,000 Indians who were supposed to leave the US at the end of their permissible limits overstayed their visas, as per the latest official report.

Over 21,000 Indians Overstayed Visas In US Last Year: Report

Not Every Brown-Skinned Person Evil, Says Sunayana Dumala, Widow Of Techie Killed In US

Not Every Brown-Skinned Person Evil, Says Sunayana Dumala, Widow Of Techie Killed In US
The widow of Indian engineer Srinivas Kuchibhotla told the US Navy veteran who killed her husband that he was always "respectful to others" and would have helped him understand that not every brown-skinned person is evil but is contributing to America's growth.

Not Every Brown-Skinned Person Evil, Says Sunayana Dumala, Widow Of Techie Killed In US