Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
International

New Trump vaccine policy limits access to COVID shots

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 May, 2025 10:41 AM
  • New Trump vaccine policy limits access to COVID shots

WASHINGTON (AP) — Annual COVID-19 shots for healthy younger adults and children will no longer be routinely approved under a major new policy shift unveiled Tuesday by the Trump administration.

Top officials for the Food and Drug Administration laid out new requirements for access to yearly COVID shots, saying they'd continue to use a streamlined approach that would continue offering them to adults 65 and older as well as children and younger adults with at least one health problem that puts them at higher risk.

But the FDA framework urges companies to conduct large, lengthy studies before tweaked vaccines can be approved for healthier people. In a framework published Tuesday in the New England Journal of Medicine, agency officials said the approach still could keep annual vaccinations available for between 100 million and 200 million people.

The upcoming changes raise questions for people who may still want a fall COVID-19 shot but don't clearly fit into one of the categories.

“Is the pharmacist going to determine if you're in a high-risk group?” asked Dr. Paul Offit, a vaccine expert at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. “The only thing that can come of this will make vaccines less insurable and less available.”

The framework is the culmination of a series of recent stepsscrutinizing the use of COVID shots and raising major questions about the broader availability of vaccines under President Donald Trump. It was released two days ahead of the first meeting of FDA’s outside vaccine experts under the Trump administration.

Last week the FDA granted full approval of Novavax's COVID-19 vaccine but with major restrictions on who can get it — and Tuesday's guidance mirrors those restrictions. The approval came after Trump appointees overruled FDA scientists' earlier plans to approve the shot without restrictions.

Pfizer and Moderna, which make the most widely used COVID-19 vaccines, didn't immediately comment.

For years, federal health officials have told most Americans toexpect annual updates to COVID-19 vaccines, similar to the annual flu shot. Just like with flu vaccines, until now the FDA has approved updated COVID shots when manufacturers provide evidence that they spark just as much immune protection as the previous year's version.

But FDA's new guidance appears to be the end of that approach under Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr., who has filled the FDA and other health agencies with outspoken critics of the government’s handling of COVID shots, particularly their recommendation for young, healthy adults and children. Under federal procedures, the FDA releases newguidance in draft form and allows the public to comment before finalizing its plans. The publication of Tuesday's policyin a medical journal is highly unusual and could run afoul of federal procedures, according to FDA experts.

Tuesday’s update, written by FDA Commissioner Marty Makary and FDA vaccine chief Vinay Prasad, criticized the U.S.’s “one-size-fits-all” approach and states that the U.S. has been “the most aggressive” in recommending COVIDboosters, when compared with European countries.

“We simply don’t know whether a healthy 52-year-old woman with a normal BMI who has had Covid-19 three times and has received six previous doses of a Covid-19 vaccine will benefit from the seventh dose,” they wrote.

Makary and Prasad recommended that companies study people not deemed at high risk for six months, randomly assigning them to get a vaccine or a placebo and tracking outcomes with special attention to severe disease, hospitalization or death.

Experts say there are legitimate questions about how much everyone still benefits from yearly COVID vaccination or whether they should be recommended for people at increased risk.

An influential panel of advisers to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is set to debate which vaccines should be recommended to which groups.

The FDA's announcement appears to usurp that advisory panel's job, Offit said. He added that CDC studies have made clear that booster doses do offer protection against mild tomoderate illness for four to six months after the shot even in healthy people.

Picture Courtesy: AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, File

MORE International ARTICLES

Fahim Saleh, the tech entrepreneur's assistant in custody over Saleh's murder

Fahim Saleh, the tech entrepreneur's assistant in custody over Saleh's murder
According to a law enforcement official,Fahim Saleh the tech entrepreneur's assistant was in custody Friday in connection with the dismemberment of Saleh at his luxury Manhattan condo.

Fahim Saleh, the tech entrepreneur's assistant in custody over Saleh's murder

Chinese executives get 'pre-test' injections in vaccine race

Chinese executives get 'pre-test' injections in vaccine race
In the global race to make a coronavirus vaccine, a state-owned Chinese company is boasting that its employees, including top executives, received experimental shots even before the government approved testing in people.

Chinese executives get 'pre-test' injections in vaccine race

New peak of 71K US overdose deaths in 2019 dashes hopes

New peak of 71K US overdose deaths in 2019 dashes hopes
Nearly 71,000 Americans died of drug overdoses last year, a new record that predates the COVID-19 crisis, which the White House and many experts believe will drive such deaths even higher.

New peak of 71K US overdose deaths in 2019 dashes hopes

US President Donald Trump seen wearing a mask in public for the first time.

US President Donald Trump seen wearing a mask in public for the first time.
For the first time President Donald Trump wore a mask in public during his visit to a military hospital as he took a short helicopter ride to a hospital Saturday night. The president’s decision to wear a mask came amidst a spike in cases in the US and after aides and experts urged him to follow his own government’s guidelines on face coverings.

US President Donald Trump seen wearing a mask in public for the first time.

Chinese city of Mongolia issues warning of bubonic plague amidst COVID-19

Chinese city of Mongolia issues warning of bubonic plague amidst COVID-19
Health officials in the northern Chinese region of Inner Mongolia have issued an early epidemic warning after a resident contracted bubonic plague.

Chinese city of Mongolia issues warning of bubonic plague amidst COVID-19

Sikh Pilgrims die in a bus and train crash in Pakistan

Sikh Pilgrims die in a bus and train crash in Pakistan
Some tragic news coming out of Pakistan. A passenger train crashed into a bus carrying Sikh pilgrims at an unmanned railway crossing in eastern Pakistan killing 22 people.

Sikh Pilgrims die in a bus and train crash in Pakistan