Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
International

Nirav Modi To Make Another Bail Plea In UK Court On May 8

Darpan News Desk IANS, 30 Apr, 2019 08:33 PM

    Fugitive diamond merchant Nirav Modi is making another bail plea at the UK court where he is undergoing extradition proceedings to India in the USD 1-billion Punjab National Bank (PNB) fraud and money laundering case.


    The 48-year-old, who has been behind bars at Wandsworth prison in south-west London since his two previous bail applications were rejected following his arrest on March 19, is to appear before Chief Magistrate Emma Arbuthnot at Westminster Magistrates' Court in London on May 8 for a third attempt.


    "The next hearing will be on 8 May. The application for bail will be heard before Judge Emma Arbuthnot at Westminster Magistrates'' Court," said a spokesperson for the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), which is representing the Indian authorities in the extradition case.


    Barrister Nick Hearn from Furnival Chambers will represent the CPS at the bail hearing, while Nirav Modi will be represented by Clare Montgomery of Matrix Chambers.


    At the last hearing in the case on April 26, when Nirav Modi had appeared before Judge Arbuthnot via video-link from prison, his legal team had made no application for bail and he was further remanded in judicial custody until May 24. While his two previous bail pleas have been rejected on the grounds that there was a "substantial risk he would fail to surrender", he can make a third application if there is a considerable change in circumstances.


    Nirav Modi is reportedly relying on "new evidence" and will seek to persuade the judge that this constitutes a change of circumstances so that he can be permitted to make another bail application next Wednesday.


    His legal team led by solicitor Anand Doobay, have previously offered one million pounds as security alongside an offer to meet stringent electronic tag restrictions on their client's movements, "akin to house arrest". It remains to be seen how they plan to bolster the application for a third attempt before the same court.


    "This is a case of substantial fraud, with loss to a bank in India of between USD 1-2 billion. I am not persuaded that the conditional bail sought will meet the concerns of the government of India in this case," Judge Arbuthnot had said, when rejecting Nirav Modi's last bail attempt.


    She also noted that "very unusually in a fraud case" the accused had made death threats to witnesses and also attempted to destroy evidence in the case. The diamond dealer's "lack of community ties" in the UK and an attempt to acquire the citizenship of Vanuatu in late 2017 went against him as the judge said it seemed like he was trying to "move away from India at an important time".


    Ms Montgomery, Nirav Modi's barrister, had made a series of offers to try and convince the judge to grant bail, even bringing up his pet dog.


    "He did have a son at Charterhouse [school in London] who has now gone to university in the States and as a sign of ageing parents, led Mr Modi to get a dog instead. None of these actions are emblematic of someone setting out to flee the country," she had claimed.


    "It is nonsense to say that he is a flight risk. He does not have a safe haven open to him and he has not travelled or applied for citizenship elsewhere... he only qualifies for leave to remain in this country," she said.


    Nirav Modi was arrested by uniformed Scotland Yard officers in central London on March 19. During subsequent hearings, Westminster Magistrates' Court was told that Nirav Modi was the "principal beneficiary" of the fraudulent issuance of letters of undertaking (LoUs) as part of a conspiracy to defraud PNB and then laundering the proceeds of crime.


    At the hearing last week, the court was told that May 30 had been tentatively fixed as the first case management hearing in his extradition case. It remains to be seen how the case will progress after the new bail plea next week.

    MORE International ARTICLES

    Increase In Indian Asylum Seekers Crossing Into US From Mexico: Report

    Indian citizens are among thousands of migrants from Haiti, Africa and Asia who are trekking across Latin America through travel routes forged by Latino immigrants, The Los Angeles Times reported.

    Increase In Indian Asylum Seekers Crossing Into US From Mexico: Report

    I Probably Funded Al Qaeda: Indian-Origin Restaurateur Taj Sardar Racially Abused

    I Probably Funded Al Qaeda: Indian-Origin Restaurateur Taj Sardar Racially Abused
    Taj Sardar, the owner of 'The Kings Diner' in Ashland, Kentucky, was targeted by racial posts by the man after eating at his restaurant, WSAZ-TV reported.

    I Probably Funded Al Qaeda: Indian-Origin Restaurateur Taj Sardar Racially Abused

    Polish Tourist's Kiki Challenge Gets Pakistan International Airlines Into Trouble

    Polish Tourist's Kiki Challenge Gets Pakistan International Airlines Into Trouble
    Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) has come under fire over a promotional video made by the national flag carrier in collaboration with a Polish tourist who is seen doing the ''Kiki challenge'' inside an empty aircraft.

    Polish Tourist's Kiki Challenge Gets Pakistan International Airlines Into Trouble

    After 8 Years, Australia Set To Resume Adoption From India

    After 8 Years, Australia Set To Resume Adoption From India
    The Australian government has decided to recommence the Adoption Programme with India, as per the Hague Convention on Inter-Country Adoption, said the Women and Child Development (WCD) Ministry on Tuesday.

    After 8 Years, Australia Set To Resume Adoption From India

    Indians Among Over 100 People Detained By US Immigration Officials

    Over 100 people, including some Indians, have been detained by the US border patrol and immigration officials in enforcement action for illegally entering and living in the country.

    Indians Among Over 100 People Detained By US Immigration Officials

    US Teen Charged With Beating Elderly Sikh Man Sahib Singh Natt Makes Obscene Gestures In Court

    The teenager son of a police chief in California, who brutally assaulted a 71-year-old Sikh man, grinned and made obscene gestures during his first court appearance, according to a media report.

    US Teen Charged With Beating Elderly Sikh Man Sahib Singh Natt Makes Obscene Gestures In Court