Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
International

Nirav Modi To Make Another Bail Plea In UK Court On May 8

Darpan News Desk IANS, 30 Apr, 2019 08:33 PM

    Fugitive diamond merchant Nirav Modi is making another bail plea at the UK court where he is undergoing extradition proceedings to India in the USD 1-billion Punjab National Bank (PNB) fraud and money laundering case.


    The 48-year-old, who has been behind bars at Wandsworth prison in south-west London since his two previous bail applications were rejected following his arrest on March 19, is to appear before Chief Magistrate Emma Arbuthnot at Westminster Magistrates' Court in London on May 8 for a third attempt.


    "The next hearing will be on 8 May. The application for bail will be heard before Judge Emma Arbuthnot at Westminster Magistrates'' Court," said a spokesperson for the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), which is representing the Indian authorities in the extradition case.


    Barrister Nick Hearn from Furnival Chambers will represent the CPS at the bail hearing, while Nirav Modi will be represented by Clare Montgomery of Matrix Chambers.


    At the last hearing in the case on April 26, when Nirav Modi had appeared before Judge Arbuthnot via video-link from prison, his legal team had made no application for bail and he was further remanded in judicial custody until May 24. While his two previous bail pleas have been rejected on the grounds that there was a "substantial risk he would fail to surrender", he can make a third application if there is a considerable change in circumstances.


    Nirav Modi is reportedly relying on "new evidence" and will seek to persuade the judge that this constitutes a change of circumstances so that he can be permitted to make another bail application next Wednesday.


    His legal team led by solicitor Anand Doobay, have previously offered one million pounds as security alongside an offer to meet stringent electronic tag restrictions on their client's movements, "akin to house arrest". It remains to be seen how they plan to bolster the application for a third attempt before the same court.


    "This is a case of substantial fraud, with loss to a bank in India of between USD 1-2 billion. I am not persuaded that the conditional bail sought will meet the concerns of the government of India in this case," Judge Arbuthnot had said, when rejecting Nirav Modi's last bail attempt.


    She also noted that "very unusually in a fraud case" the accused had made death threats to witnesses and also attempted to destroy evidence in the case. The diamond dealer's "lack of community ties" in the UK and an attempt to acquire the citizenship of Vanuatu in late 2017 went against him as the judge said it seemed like he was trying to "move away from India at an important time".


    Ms Montgomery, Nirav Modi's barrister, had made a series of offers to try and convince the judge to grant bail, even bringing up his pet dog.


    "He did have a son at Charterhouse [school in London] who has now gone to university in the States and as a sign of ageing parents, led Mr Modi to get a dog instead. None of these actions are emblematic of someone setting out to flee the country," she had claimed.


    "It is nonsense to say that he is a flight risk. He does not have a safe haven open to him and he has not travelled or applied for citizenship elsewhere... he only qualifies for leave to remain in this country," she said.


    Nirav Modi was arrested by uniformed Scotland Yard officers in central London on March 19. During subsequent hearings, Westminster Magistrates' Court was told that Nirav Modi was the "principal beneficiary" of the fraudulent issuance of letters of undertaking (LoUs) as part of a conspiracy to defraud PNB and then laundering the proceeds of crime.


    At the hearing last week, the court was told that May 30 had been tentatively fixed as the first case management hearing in his extradition case. It remains to be seen how the case will progress after the new bail plea next week.

    MORE International ARTICLES

    ‘Turban Saved Me’: Sikh Man Surjit Singh Malhi Attacked In The US

    ‘Turban Saved Me’: Sikh Man Surjit Singh Malhi Attacked In The US
    Surjit Singh Malhi said he was putting out political signs for US Representative Jeff Denham, a Republican running for re-election, near his home in California when he was attacked by the two men who yelled racial slurs

    ‘Turban Saved Me’: Sikh Man Surjit Singh Malhi Attacked In The US

    Indian-American Sri Preston Kulkarni Quit Job Over Trump's Policies. He's Running For Congress

    Indian-American Sri Preston Kulkarni Quit Job Over Trump's Policies. He's Running For Congress
    Sri Preston Kulkarni, whose family traces its roots to Maharashtra and Karnataka, says on his website that he spent his career trying to reduce conflict in other countries..."but right now hostility and conflict are being inflamed in our own country through the politics of anger and demagoguery".

    Indian-American Sri Preston Kulkarni Quit Job Over Trump's Policies. He's Running For Congress

    Indian-Origin Man Pleads Guilty For Taking $2.5 Million In Bribes In US

    Indian-Origin Man Pleads Guilty For Taking $2.5 Million In Bribes In US
    He pleaded guilty yesterday in federal court in Rutland to two felony charges, each carrying maximum penalties of 10 years in prison.

    Indian-Origin Man Pleads Guilty For Taking $2.5 Million In Bribes In US

    Student Commits Suicide By Jumping From University Building In Punjab

    Student Commits Suicide By Jumping From University Building In Punjab
    He was rushed to a private hospital where doctors declared him brought dead, police said.

    Student Commits Suicide By Jumping From University Building In Punjab

    Senior Indian-Origin Doctor In UK Forced To Quit Over Anonymous Posts

    Senior Indian-Origin Doctor In UK Forced To Quit Over Anonymous Posts
    The Indian-origin general practitioner stepped down as NHS England's Director of Primary Care after his pseudonym posts over the closure of small GP surgeries in the country triggered outrage among fellow family doctors.

    Senior Indian-Origin Doctor In UK Forced To Quit Over Anonymous Posts

    Soon, Indians Visiting Sri Lanka To Be Exempted From Visa

    India topped the number of tourist arrivals in Sri Lanka at 206,337 followed by the Chinese tourist whose figures stood at 136,294.

    Soon, Indians Visiting Sri Lanka To Be Exempted From Visa