Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
International

Protest against Waqf Act will continue, says Congress MLA Arif Masood

Darpan News Desk IANS, 10 Apr, 2025 12:25 PM
  • Protest against Waqf Act will continue, says Congress MLA Arif Masood

Bhopal, April 10 (IANS) Congress MLA Arif Masood, who organised a protest against the Waqf (Amendment) Act in Bhopal on Thursday, reiterated that the Muslim community will never accept this newly enacted law and the protests against it will continue.

Addressing a large gathering of the people from the Muslim community, Masood, who is MLA from Bhopal Madhya assembly seat, said, “All India Muslim Personal Law Board (AIMPLB) has always opposed the Waqf Act and will continue to oppose at each level.”

He further alleged that this law was brought not to protect Waqf, reiterating that the BJP-led government has imposed the Waqf (Amendment) Act forcefully on the Muslim community.

“Protest against this law will continue until the Centre withdraws it,” he claimed.

Notably, after the Waqf (Ammendment) Bill-2025 was passed in both the Houses of the Parliament, President Draupadi Murmu on April 5 gave her assent to it, becoming an Act, which came into effect from April 8.

Over 10 petitions, including those by politicians and the All India Muslim Personal Law Board (AIMPLB) and Jamiat Ulama-i-Hind, were filed in the Supreme Court (SC) to challenge the validity of the new law.

The petitioners have submitted that the provisions of the law discriminated against Muslims by imposing restrictions which were not part of the governance of other religious endowments.

The SC bench headed by Chief Justice of India (CJI) Sanjiv Khanna is scheduled to hear the matter on April 16.

The Centre has already filed a caveat in the apex court to ensure no order is passed without hearing it first.

Responding to Aarif Masood’s statement, BJP MLA and Minister, Wiswas Sarang, said that the large Muslim population has welcomed the Waqf Act.

He said only some Muslim leaders, who have illegally encroached Waqf properties, are opposing it for their personal gain.

MORE International ARTICLES

Texas AG strides into Twitter takeover drama to bolster Musk

Texas AG strides into Twitter takeover drama to bolster Musk
Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton announced his investigation of Twitter on Monday just hours after Musk, the billionaire Tesla and SpaceX CEO, accused Twitter of refusing to disclose the extent of its spam bot and fake accounts.    

Texas AG strides into Twitter takeover drama to bolster Musk

UK PM Johnson wins confidence vote

UK PM Johnson wins confidence vote
The confidence vote follows "anger" over senior civil servant Sue Gray's report detailing lockdown "rule-breaking" in Downing Street. As Johnson survived the confidence vote, he will now stay in his job as Prime Minister.

UK PM Johnson wins confidence vote

UK: 73 new monkeypox cases, biggest outbreak outside Africa

UK: 73 new monkeypox cases, biggest outbreak outside Africa
On Sunday, the World Health Organization said more than two dozen countries that haven’t previously identified monkeypox cases reported 780 cases, a more than 200% jump in cases since late May. No monkeypox deaths outside of Africa have yet been identified.

UK: 73 new monkeypox cases, biggest outbreak outside Africa

WHO warns of further transmission of monkeypox over summer

WHO warns of further transmission of monkeypox over summer
The WHO European office is concerned that the recent lifting of pandemic restrictions on international travel and events could act as a catalyst for rapid transmission, Xinhua news agency reported.

WHO warns of further transmission of monkeypox over summer

Tulsa police: 3 killed in shooting at a medical building

Tulsa police: 3 killed in shooting at a medical building
Three people were killed Wednesday in a shooting at a Tulsa medical building on a hospital campus, a police captain said. Capt. Richard Meulenberg confirmed the number of dead. Meulenberg said the shooter also was dead.

Tulsa police: 3 killed in shooting at a medical building

Indian origin British police officer could sue UK govt

Indian origin British police officer could sue UK govt
Matthew Rycroft, the senior-most civil servant at the Home Office, reportedly informed him that he and another officer who had been short-listed for the job that they would not be selected. He is not known to have spelled out a reason for the decision.

Indian origin British police officer could sue UK govt