Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
International

Reckless driver jailed for killing Sikh woman in UK

Darpan News Desk IANS, 12 Jan, 2023 10:51 AM
  • Reckless driver jailed for killing Sikh woman in UK

London, Jan 12 (IANS) A 23-year-old man in the UK has been jailed for six years for recklessly driving at a speed of nearly 100 mph, which led to the death of a Sikh woman -- mother to a five-month-old.

Hashim Aziz was driving at over three times the speed limit to "impress his cousins" when his Audi A3 crashed into Baljinder Kaur Moore's Vauxhall Corsa in West Midlands, in November last year, the Mirror reported.

Baljinder, 32, was on her way to pick up her husband from his brother's home, and she was driving at 62 mph.

The Wolverhampton Crown Court heard that two witnesses had spotted Aziz flying past them "in excess of 100mph" before they heard "loud bangs".

The severity of the impact caused one of the car engines "to become detached" while debris was left scattered 30 metres away, prosecutor Cathlyn Orchard said.

Baljinder was announced dead on the spot by paramedics.

According to the Mirror, Aziz, a resident of Highgate Drive, Walsall, initially tried to blame the victim for the tragedy during a police interview but later admitted causing death by dangerous driving.

"He accepts full responsibility for what was a catastrophic accident. He simply shouldn't have been travelling anywhere near that speed," Aziz's defence counsel, Adam Morgan, said.

During his sentencing at Wolverhampton Crown Court on Tuesday, Aziz expressed "full remorse" for the crash.

The court was told that Aziz had a clean criminal record and no driving convictions.

In addition to a six year jail-term, Aziz has been banned from driving for seven years.

MORE International ARTICLES

World Bank Chief Hails India's 'Unprecedented' Ease Of Business Ranking

World Bank Chief Hails India's 'Unprecedented' Ease Of Business Ranking
Jim Yong Kim made these remarks during a telephonic conversation with Prime Minister Narendra Modi, a statement from the Prime Minister's Office said.  

World Bank Chief Hails India's 'Unprecedented' Ease Of Business Ranking

H-1B Is A 'Work In Progress,' Says Donald Trump's Aide

H-1B Is A 'Work In Progress,' Says Donald Trump's Aide
H-1B: Larry Kudlow, who is the chief economic advisor to President Donald Trump, in an interaction with reporters agreed that H-1B attracts talented professionals and companies currently are having difficulties in hiring people on H-1B visas.

H-1B Is A 'Work In Progress,' Says Donald Trump's Aide

Modi Vest Or Nehru Jacket? Modi's Gift To South Korean President Stirs Twitter Debate

However, the tweet triggered a series of reactions with many people correcting the South Korean president for calling the 'Nehru jacket' "Modi Vest'. Former Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir Omar Abdullah also pitched in.

Modi Vest Or Nehru Jacket? Modi's Gift To South Korean President Stirs Twitter Debate

Kolkata-Born Research Scientist Rahul Mandal Wins UK's Popular Baking Show 'Great British Bake Off'

An Indian research scientist born in Kolkata has been crowned the winner of a popular baking show on British television after winning over the judges with his intricately-designed cakes and pastries.

Kolkata-Born Research Scientist Rahul Mandal Wins UK's Popular Baking Show 'Great British Bake Off'

'Do Not Clash With The State': Imran Khan Issues Stern Warning To Agitators After Asia Bibi Verdict

'Do Not Clash With The State': Imran Khan Issues Stern Warning To Agitators After Asia Bibi Verdict
Prime Minister Imran Khan addressed the nation through a video message and his address was solely focused on the Asia Bibi verdict.

'Do Not Clash With The State': Imran Khan Issues Stern Warning To Agitators After Asia Bibi Verdict

Indian-Origin Man Paras Jha, Ordered To Pay $8.6 Mn For Launching Cyber Attacks On US Varsity

Indian-Origin Man Paras Jha, Ordered To Pay $8.6 Mn For Launching Cyber Attacks On US Varsity
An Indian-origin man has been ordered to pay USD 8.6 million in restitution and serve six months of home incarceration for launching a series of cyber attacks on the computer network of a leading US university.

Indian-Origin Man Paras Jha, Ordered To Pay $8.6 Mn For Launching Cyber Attacks On US Varsity