Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
International

Sherin Mathews' Father Admits to Killing 3-Year-Old: Police

Darpan News Desk IANS, 24 Oct, 2017 09:57 AM

    The foster father of a 3-year-old Indian girl, who is missing for over two weeks, has told police that his daughter choked on milk and he "believed she had died", according to a media report on Tuesday.

     

    Wesley Mathews, 37, the father of Sherin Mathews, was re-arrested and charged with first-degree felony injury to a child due to a conflicting statement to police.

     

    The arrest came a day after the body of a small child was found in a culvert near their home in suburban Dallas and police fear that it could be that of Sherin.

     

    An arrest warrant obtained by local TV Station WFAA detailed the "conflicting story" that led to the re-arrest of Sherin's father.

     

    The warrant states that Mathews told police that his daughter choked on milk in the early morning hours of 7 October and he "believed she had died."

     

    Today, the Dallas County Medical Examiners Office has confirmed the identity of the small child recovered on Sunday,...

    Posted by Richardson Police Department on Tuesday, 24 October 2017
     

    He said he "physically assisted" Sherin in drinking her milk when she wouldn't listen to him, according to the warrant.

     

    "She was coughing and her breathing slowed," the warrant reads. "Eventually, Wesley Mathews no longer felt a pulse on the child and believed she had died."

     

    He then admitted to police that he removed the body from the home, the warrant reads.

     

    Mathews had previously claimed that Sherin went missing after he sent her outside their home at around 3 am on 7 October as punishment for not drinking her milk.

     

     

    He was arrested then and charged with felony endangerment to a child and was placed on electronic ankle monitoring. He also surrendered his passport as a condition of making bond on 9 October.

     

    He was re-arrested for felony injury to a child after providing investigators at the Richardson Police Department with the conflicting story.

     

    "When they came in, they provided us with some information that was contrary to what we had previously been told regarding her [Sherin Mathews] disappearance," said Kevin Perlich, Richardson Police Department spokesperson.

     

    The most recent (10/23) arrest affidavit (Injury to a Child) of Wesley Mathews is posted on our webpage at: http://bit.ly/2yFjWBD

    Posted by Richardson Police Department on Tuesday, 24 October 2017
     

    His bond has been set at USD 1 million and he was booked into the Richardson City Jail.

     

    "It is possible that he could bond out again," Perlich said.

     

    When asked on Monday about the milk story Mathews originally told police, Perlich wouldn't provide specifics because it was an ongoing investigation. All he could say was that "it was not what he told us originally."

     

    Perlich said police still did not have a positive identification on the child's body that was found Sunday at 11 am in a culvert underground during a search operation in the area of Spring Valley and Bowser Road.

     

     

    The FBI seized dozens of items from the family's home and their vehicles between 8- 12 October, including a washer and dryer, electronics and DNA swabs.

    MORE International ARTICLES

    US Policies Responsible For Regional Instability: Sartaj Aziz

    US Policies Responsible For Regional Instability: Sartaj Aziz
    United States' policies are responsible for instability in south Asia, said Sartaj Aziz, foreign affairs advisor here on Monday, urging the Obama administration to analyse its role - and that of its allies - in the region.

    US Policies Responsible For Regional Instability: Sartaj Aziz

    Burkina Faso Attack Not First Time Canadians Have Faced African Al-Qaeda Terror

    Burkina Faso Attack Not First Time Canadians Have Faced African Al-Qaeda Terror
    OTTAWA — Even though they are responsible for a string of atrocities and affiliated with the grand daddy of terrorist groups, al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb has flown largely under the radar in terms of public perception of extremists.

    Burkina Faso Attack Not First Time Canadians Have Faced African Al-Qaeda Terror

    Race Tightens: Hillary Clinton And Bernie Sanders Clash On Guns, Health Care

    Race Tightens: Hillary Clinton And Bernie Sanders Clash On Guns, Health Care
    Presidential candidates Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders tangled in a Democratic Party presidential debate over who is tougher on gun control and Wall Street and how to steer the future of health care in America.

    Race Tightens: Hillary Clinton And Bernie Sanders Clash On Guns, Health Care

    Canadian Man Detained In U.A.E. Without Charge To Stand Trial On Monday

    Canadian Man Detained In U.A.E. Without Charge To Stand Trial On Monday
    Salim Alaradi, a 46-year-old Canadian of Libyan origin, was running a business in Dubai when he was abruptly arrested in August 2014.

    Canadian Man Detained In U.A.E. Without Charge To Stand Trial On Monday

    Four Family Members Among Canadians Killed In Burkina Faso Terrorist Attack

    Four Family Members Among Canadians Killed In Burkina Faso Terrorist Attack
    Four of the victims were from the same family: Yves Carrier, his wife Gladys Chamberland, their adult son Charlelie Carrier and Yves' adult daughter Maude Carrier, also a teacher.

    Four Family Members Among Canadians Killed In Burkina Faso Terrorist Attack

    6 Canadians Killed In Terrorist Attack On Burkina Faso Hotel

    6 Canadians Killed In Terrorist Attack On Burkina Faso Hotel
    OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says at least six Canadians have died in an attack on a luxury hotel in Burkina Faso's capital.

    6 Canadians Killed In Terrorist Attack On Burkina Faso Hotel