Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
International

Trump says China panicked; markets slide deeper

Darpan News Desk IANS, 04 Apr, 2025 01:17 PM
  • Trump says China panicked; markets slide deeper

Washington, April 4 (IANS) US President Donald Trump on Friday said China had “panicked” by retaliating to his reciprocal tariff with a matching levy of 34 per cent on all imported goods from America.

Market turmoil deepened on news of China's retaliation. All major US indexes dropped more than 3 per cent in morning trading. And the tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite had fallen by 4 per cent, and the Wall Street Journal said, it was on pace to close in a bear market, meaning it has fallen more than 20 per cent from a recent peak.

Trump announced a 34 per cent tariff on imports from China on Wednesday, along with levies on all of America’s trading partner countries, including India with 26 per cent. A base-line rate of 10 per cent has been levied on all trading partner countries with some of them such as China, India, Japan, the EU and others, were hit with higher rates.

"China played it wrong, they panicked - the one thing they cannot afford to do!" the American President wrote on Truth Social, his social media platform.

The unsaid implication seemingly was that the president either expected or preferred that Beijing had chosen negotiation over retaliation.

“Well, it depends,” he said in response to a question from a reporter on Thursday if he was open to negotiations.

“If somebody said that we're going to give you something that's so phenomenal, as long as they're giving us something, that’s good.”

He said earlier: “The tariffs give us great power to negotiate. I've always used them very well in the first administration, as you saw, but now we're taking it to a whole new level, because it's a worldwide situation, and it's very exciting to see."

But his position seemed at odds with his top aides, who have said these tariffs are not negotiable.

“I don’t think there’s any chance…that President Trump’s going to back off his tariffs,” Howard Lutnick, secretary of commerce and a key architect of the president’s tariffs, said on Thursday. “The world should stop exploiting the United States of America.”

Top trade aide Peter Navarro told a media outlet the tariffs are “not a negotiation”.

MORE International ARTICLES

Alleged neo-Nazi back in U.S. court Jan. 12

Alleged neo-Nazi back in U.S. court Jan. 12
Prosecutors, defence lawyers and District Judge Theodore Chuang gathered today via conference call to set deadlines for the government's response to the motions and to set a hearing date.

Alleged neo-Nazi back in U.S. court Jan. 12

Still too soon to try altering human embryo DNA, panel says

Still too soon to try altering human embryo DNA, panel says
Thursday’s report comes nearly two years after a Chinese scientist shocked the world by revealing he’d helped make the first gene-edited babies using a tool called CRISPR, which enables DNA changes or “edits” that can pass to future generations.

Still too soon to try altering human embryo DNA, panel says

Members named to panel probing WHO's pandemic response

Members named to panel probing WHO's pandemic response
Johnson Sirleaf chose the panel members independently and that WHO did not attempt to influence their choices.

Members named to panel probing WHO's pandemic response

Champion of aluminum tariffs faces critics

Champion of aluminum tariffs faces critics
In an online forum today hosted by the Washington International Trade Association, DeFrancesco squared off against critics of the decision, including leading industry groups in both Canada and the U.S.

Champion of aluminum tariffs faces critics

Prince Harry and Meghan sign production deal with Netflix

Prince Harry and Meghan sign production deal with Netflix
The prince worked closely with the filmmakers of the documentary “Rising Phoenix,” in which he also appears. It premiered last week on Netflix.

Prince Harry and Meghan sign production deal with Netflix

Alleged neo-Nazi wants U.S. charges quashed

Alleged neo-Nazi wants U.S. charges quashed
Prosecutors in Maryland allege the three men were part of an elaborate white-supremacist plot to touch off a U.S. race war.

Alleged neo-Nazi wants U.S. charges quashed