Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
International

Trump White House rescinds order freezing federal grants after widespread confusion

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Jan, 2025 11:47 AM
  • Trump White House rescinds order freezing federal grants after widespread confusion

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump's budget office on Wednesday rescinded an order freezing spending on federal grants, less than two days after it sparked widespread confusion and legal challenges across the country, according to two people familiar with the matter.

The Monday evening order from the White House Office of Management and Budget sparked uncertainty over a crucial financial lifeline for states, schools and organizations that rely on trillions of dollars from Washington and left the White House scrambling to explain what would and wouldn't be subject to a pause in funding.

The people, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal guidance, confirmed that the OMB pulled the order Wednesday in a two sentence notice to agencies and departments.

Administration officials said the decision to halt loans and grants was necessary to ensure that spending complies with Trump’s recent blitz of executive orders. Agencies had been directed to answer a series of yes or no questions on each federal program by Feb. 7. The questions included “does this program promote gender ideology?” and “does this program promote or support in any way abortion?”

But the vaguely worded memo, combined with incomplete answers from the White House throughout the day, left lawmakers, public officials and average Americans struggling to figure out what programs would be affected by the pause. Even temporary interruptions in funding could cause layoffs or delays in public services.

The freeze was scheduled to go into effect at 5 p.m. Tuesday, but was stayed by a federal judge until at least Monday after an emergency hearing requested by nonprofit groups that receive federal grants. An additional lawsuit by Democratic state attorneys general was also pending.

Trump administration officials said programs that provide direct assistance to Americans, including Medicare, Social Security, student loans and food stamps, would not be affected. But they sometimes struggled to provide a clear picture.

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt initially would not say whether Medicaid was exempted from the freeze, but the administration later clarified that it was.

Although Trump had promised to turn Washington upside down if elected to a second term, the effects of his effort to pause funding were being felt far from the nation’s capital. Organizations like Meals on Wheels, which receives federal money to deliver food to the elderly, and Head Start which provides early childcare in lower income communities, were worried about getting cut off.

Democratic critics of the order moved swiftly to celebrate the action.

“This is an important victory for the American people whose voices were heard after massive pressure from every corner of this country—real people made a difference by speaking out," said Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash. "Still, the Trump administration—through a combination of sheer incompetence, cruel intentions, and a willful disregard of the law—caused real harm and chaos for millions over the span of the last 48 hours which is still ongoing."

Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer of New York said that “Americans fought back and Donald Trump backed off.

MORE International ARTICLES

Four people plotted to kill me: Imran Khan

Four people plotted to kill me: Imran Khan
He indicated that he received the information of this plot through the relationships he had formed while in power. In his first address since the assassination attempt on him in Gujranwala on Thursday, in which Khan sustained bullet injuries in his leg, the PTI chief stated that he was aware of the plot to kill him.

Four people plotted to kill me: Imran Khan

US risks losing talented H1-B visa holders to Canada: Study

US risks losing talented H1-B visa holders to Canada: Study
In 2015, then President Barack Obama allowed the spouses of H-1B visa holders to work in the US via the H4 (dependent) visa.  H4 visas are issued to dependent spouses and children who accompany H-1B, H-2A, H-2B, and H-3 visa holders to the US.

US risks losing talented H1-B visa holders to Canada: Study

$1 mn reward to nab Indian suspect in Australia murder case

$1 mn reward to nab Indian suspect in Australia murder case
Three Queensland police detectives have travelled to India and are working with authorities to find Rajwinder Singh, 38, who worked as a nurse in Innisfail, but fled the country two days after the murder, leaving behind his job, wife and three children in Australia, news.com.au reported.

$1 mn reward to nab Indian suspect in Australia murder case

NZ Indian who killed his wife's lover appeals hefty jail term

NZ Indian who killed his wife's lover appeals hefty jail term
Months of pent-up jealousy and anger drove Niraj Nilesh Prasad, 39, to break into Faiz Ali's Armagh St flat and smash his head with a hammer on February 21, 2021. Prasad, who was found guilty of murder, was sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum non-parole period of 18-and-a-half years by the High Court in Christchurch in March.

NZ Indian who killed his wife's lover appeals hefty jail term

Former PM of Pakistan Imran Khan sustains bullet injury in assassination bid at PTI's long march

Former PM of Pakistan Imran Khan sustains bullet injury in assassination bid at PTI's long march
According to Geo News, the former Prime Minister has been shifted to a hospital. Sources told Geo News that four to five PTI leaders have also sustained injuries. According to the police, the suspect who opened fire on Khan's container has been arrested. The assailant, idenfied as Faisal Butt, has confessed that the former Pakistan Prime Minister was his only target.

Former PM of Pakistan Imran Khan sustains bullet injury in assassination bid at PTI's long march

Old Sikh temple in Kent to be turned into flats

Old Sikh temple in Kent to be turned into flats
The Gurdwara in Clarence Place, Gravesend, was used as a place of worship in the early 1960s until 2008, when the community moved to new premises in Saddington Street. The old building, vacant since 2010, was saved from demolition in 2020 when councillors voted against plans to flatten it and build 19 flats.

Old Sikh temple in Kent to be turned into flats