Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
International

White House Receives Changes To End Work Sanction For Spouses With H-1B Visa

Darpan News Desk IANS, 22 Feb, 2019 11:17 PM

    The White House has formally received the proposed changes in the existing regulations to end the work authorization for certain categories of H-1B foreign work visas.


    The move that would impact over 90,000 spouses of H-1B visa holders, an overwhelming number of whom are Indians, was sent by the Department of Homeland Security to the White House Office of management for Budget on Wednesday, officials said.


    It's now for the White House to take a final call on it, before a formal regulation in this regard could be issued and the Department of Homeland Security can inform a federal court, where a lawsuit on this issue is pending.


    Now White House would carry out its review of the proposed regulation, take inputs from various agencies, before taking a final call. The entire process could take from a few weeks to several months.


    US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) which manages the programme said the proposed regulation was not final until the review and comment process was complete. As per the existing process, once White House gives its nod, the regulation would be published in federal register with a 30-day comment period.


    It is only after that the new changes can come into effect. The Trump administration is moving ahead with its proposed regulation, despite strong resistance from a group of US lawmakers including Senator Kamala Harris, and Silicon Valley companies who argue that this is not only anti-women, but also prevents talented spouses of H-1B visa holders from working in the United States.


    Meanwhile, the US Court of Appeals, District of Columbia has extended the time for various stakeholders, including the Department of Homeland Security to submit its responses on the lawsuit against it filed by the organisation Save Jobs USA.


    In September, Save Jobs USA, which had filed the lawsuit, urged the court to remove the abeyance and move forward with the case.


    The case is before a three-member bench including Indian American Sree Srinivasan. The move comes after the Department of Homeland Security sought a stay on all existing deadlines because of the more than one-month-long partial shutdown of the federal government.


    Save Jobs USA has expressed its disappointment over the slow progress on this issue.

    MORE International ARTICLES

    Indian Students’ Group In UK Calls For Action On Fake Calls Scam

    Indian Students’ Group In UK Calls For Action On Fake Calls Scam
    An Indian students’ group in Britain on Tuesday called for action to support members who had been subjected to a fake calls scam, which involves fraudsters claiming to be from the UK Home Office and threatening innocent students with deportation.

    Indian Students’ Group In UK Calls For Action On Fake Calls Scam

    UK Government Distances Itself From Pro-Khalistan Rally In London

    UK Government Distances Itself From Pro-Khalistan Rally In London
    The so-called 'London Declaration on Referendum 2020' rally, organised by Sikhs for Justice on August 12, triggered a diplomatic row with India

    UK Government Distances Itself From Pro-Khalistan Rally In London

    Indian-Origin Man In South African Held For Killing Cousin Over Fight On TV Remote

    Indian-Origin Man In South African Held For Killing Cousin Over Fight On TV Remote
    A South African Indian-origin man has been charged with murder for allegedly shooting dead his cousin during a heated argument over a TV remote control, police said.

    Indian-Origin Man In South African Held For Killing Cousin Over Fight On TV Remote

    Australian High Commission Warns Indians Against Visa Scam

    In what seems to be erupting into a major visa scam, Indians have been warned against an employment agency reportedly fleecing them with the promise of a work visa for Down Under.

    Australian High Commission Warns Indians Against Visa Scam

    Sukhpal Khaira Made President Of Punjab AAP Rebels

    Sukhpal Khaira Made President Of Punjab AAP Rebels
    Dissident Aam Aadmi Party leader Sukhpal Khaira was made ad-hoc president the party’s rebel faction, the leader announced on Monday.

    Sukhpal Khaira Made President Of Punjab AAP Rebels

    Imran Khan Moves In To Military Secretary's Home, Cuts Down On Perks

    Imran Khan, announcing a series of austerity measures to cut down the expenditure during his maiden address to the nation late last night, said that he wanted to live in his own house in Banigala "but was told by security agencies that my life was under threat which is why I am living here".

    Imran Khan Moves In To Military Secretary's Home, Cuts Down On Perks