Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

17 year old man stabbed on a bus in Surrey dies

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Apr, 2023 10:29 AM
  • 17 year old man stabbed on a bus in Surrey dies

RCMP in Surrey, B.C., say a teenager has died from his injuries after he was stabbed while aboard a transit bus in the city.

Police say the stabbing happened just before 9:30 Tuesday night.

Investigators say the 17-year-old victim and his attacker had some sort of altercation while on the bus, not far from the King George SkyTrain station.

Police are still seeking witnesses but say it appears the stabbing was "targeted" and an "isolated incident."

No arrests have been made, and the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team, or IHIT, has been called in to investigate.

The attack is the second serious stabbing in as many days at a Metro Vancouver transit location. 

On Monday night, a victim was attacked at the Columbia SkyTrain Station in New Westminster.

The victim in the New Westminster stabbing was treated in hospital and their condition has not been released. Police are searching for three suspects, two men and a female teenager, in that incident.

The latest attack is also the second serious stabbing in two weeks aboard a transit bus in Surrey, although the first victim, whose throat was slashed on April 1, is now recovering at home.

Police say there are "no indications" that two bus attacks are "in any way connected."

Abdul Aziz Kawam, the suspect in the April 1 throat-slashing, is scheduled to reappear in court in Surrey on Thursday.

Kawam is charged with attempted murder, assault causing bodily harm, aggravated assault and assault with a weapon, all in association with the Islamic State terrorist group.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C.'s surplus $5 billion over estimate

B.C.'s surplus $5 billion over estimate
Finance Minister Selina Robinson says much of the added surplus comes from higher personal and corporate income taxes, while sales taxes and natural gas royalties were also higher. Robinson says $2 billion of the added revenue has already been earmarked for cost-of-living measures announced since the summer.

B.C.'s surplus $5 billion over estimate

3 missing after float plane crashes into B.C. bay

3 missing after float plane crashes into B.C. bay
Cpl. Alex Berube says in a statement they have learned that the plane was transporting two passengers out of a logging camp back to Port Hardy. Coast guard helicopters and boats were sent to the search area but no survivors have been found.

3 missing after float plane crashes into B.C. bay

B.C. ready to cancel surgeries as flu cases rise

B.C. ready to cancel surgeries as flu cases rise
The province has yet to reach the point of scrapping operations, said Dix Thursday, as he faced Opposition calls for his resignation. Parents and the Opposition have decried lengthy waits at emergency rooms across B.C. for children suffering serious respiratory symptoms.

B.C. ready to cancel surgeries as flu cases rise

Traffic delays expected near Vancouver International Airport during Black Friday sales event

Traffic delays expected near Vancouver International Airport during Black Friday sales event
Richmond RCMP are recommending those traveling to the Vancouver International Airport give themselves extra time to catch their flights this coming weekend.  Mounties will have additional officers on the roadways around the mall and airport to assist with traffic flow. 

Traffic delays expected near Vancouver International Airport during Black Friday sales event

Surrey RCMP need the public's help in locating missing woman Jasvir Parmar

Surrey RCMP need the public's help in locating missing woman Jasvir Parmar
Jasvir Parmar was last seen on November 21, 2022 in the 6600-block of 133rd Street. Her last contact with family was in the early morning hours on Tuesday.  Since then, efforts to find her have been unsuccessful. Police and family are concerned for Parmar’s well-being.

Surrey RCMP need the public's help in locating missing woman Jasvir Parmar

Sajjan mum on human rights in Qatar visit

Sajjan mum on human rights in Qatar visit
Sajjan attended the World Cup on behalf of the Trudeau government, where the Canadian men's team is competing for the first time in years. He met with U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken and local officials.  

Sajjan mum on human rights in Qatar visit