Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

2 dead in a car crash in Nanaimo

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Dec, 2023 11:07 AM
  • 2 dead in a car crash in Nanaimo

Police in Nanaimo say two people are dead after a serious single-vehicle car crash near a rural campground on Saturday morning. 

Nanaimo R-C-M-P say they arrived just before 9 a-m at the crash site on Nanaimo River Road, about 15 kilometres west of the Trans Canada Highway. 

Mounties say police, ambulance, and fire crews were on the scene in the rural area after the crash and the B-C Coroners Service is investigating the deaths. 

They say the road will be closed near the Deadwood campground area as the investigation unfolds, and there are no alternate routes as the Integrated Collision Analysis and Reconstruction Service and coroners service probe the deadly incident. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Majority of homeowners in BC are investors

Majority of homeowners in BC are investors
New numbers released by Statistics Canada show investor-occupants made up almost 10 per cent of British Columbia homeowners in 2020. The agency attributes the high numbers in B-C to incremental forms of density, such as single-detached houses with secondary suites or laneway units, duplexes, or triplexes.

Majority of homeowners in BC are investors

Province invests in seniors

Province invests in seniors
The province is offering 500-thousand dollars in grants for programs or plans aimed at helping seniors lead independent, active lives. Applications open June 1st for the age-friendly grants, which can be as much as 25-thousand dollars each.

Province invests in seniors

Armed break and enter in Victoria

Armed break and enter in Victoria
Police in Victoria say two people have been arrested after reports of an armed break and enter at a residential building in the city. Two people were arrested and taken into custody three hours later, just before 11 A-M.

Armed break and enter in Victoria

Premier David Eby makes a statement on 109th anniversary of the Komagata Maru

Premier David Eby makes a statement on 109th anniversary of the Komagata Maru
“When they should have been welcomed, they were instead met by hostility and prejudice. Canadian immigration officials refused to let them leave the boat. The passengers were confined to the ship for two months, during which supplies of food and even water were restricted, making conditions intolerable". 

Premier David Eby makes a statement on 109th anniversary of the Komagata Maru

All evacuation orders lifted in northeastern B.C. as rain dampens wildfire threat

All evacuation orders lifted in northeastern B.C. as rain dampens wildfire threat
The Peace River Regional District has cancelled orders issued last week affecting properties threatened by the Stoddart Creek fire northeast of Fort St. John. The River Forecast Centre has posted flood watches for much of east-central B.C., from the Peace River area to the Kootenay, Boundary and Okanagan areas.

All evacuation orders lifted in northeastern B.C. as rain dampens wildfire threat

Shortage of lifeguards at Vancouver beaches

Shortage of lifeguards at Vancouver beaches
The board says Sunset Beach, Spanish Banks West and Second Beach were all without lifeguards on Sunday and Monday. It says the shortage also resulted in limited drop-in spots at city-owned pools at New Brighton and Second Beach.   

Shortage of lifeguards at Vancouver beaches