Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
National

360 Impaired Drivers Taken Off Of Vancouver Roads This Summer, Police Say

Darpan News Desk, 13 Aug, 2019 06:58 PM

    Vancouver Police have taken 360 impaired drivers off of Vancouver roads during this year’s summer CounterAttack campaign — 100 more impaired drivers than last year.


    An increase in officers for this year’s roadblocks, which ran from late June to early August, may have contributed to the increase in numbers, but it is also an indication that impaired driving remains a problem on our roads.


    “Roadblocks can be anywhere. If you drive stoned or drunk, you are putting yourself and others at risk, and the chance of getting caught is very likely,” says Sergeant Jason Robillard. “Some people just aren’t getting the message that impaired driving just isn’t worth it.”


    Of the 360 drivers taken off the roads this past month, 116 drivers were issued roadside suspensions and 244 were issued with immediate roadside prohibitions. Twelve Criminal Code impaired driving charges have also been recommended to Crown counsel.


    CounterAttack road blocks are a partnership between VPD and the Insurance Corporation of B.C., with a mandate to promote safe driving and take impaired motorists off the road. Impaired driving remains one of the leading causes of traffic fatalities in B.C., and it is entirely preventable.


    Anyone who spots an impaired driver is asked to call 9-1-1 immediately.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Manslaughter Trial Hears Recording Of Accused Praying For Forgiveness

    Manslaughter Trial Hears Recording Of Accused Praying For Forgiveness
    A trial for a Calgary man charged in the death of his grandson has heard a recording of what appears to be the accused praying for forgiveness.

    Manslaughter Trial Hears Recording Of Accused Praying For Forgiveness

    Stay Of Proceedings After Jaspal Atwal Accused Of Uttering Threats

    BC Prosecution Service says it won't pursue a charge of uttering threats against the man who sparked a political firestorm when he attended an event during Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's state visit to India last year.

    Stay Of Proceedings After Jaspal Atwal Accused Of Uttering Threats

    Shots Fired At A Massive Victory Rally For The Toronto Raptors

    Police say shots have been fired at a massive victory rally for the Toronto Raptors.

    Shots Fired At A Massive Victory Rally For The Toronto Raptors

    NDP Promise To Expand Universal Health Care, Starting With National Drug Plan

    The federal NDP says it will fast-track a universal drug plan to ensure a late 2020 start date if elected this fall as part of an expansion of Canada's health-care system.

    NDP Promise To Expand Universal Health Care, Starting With National Drug Plan

    Montreal's New Champlain Bridge To Open June 24, Six Months Behind Schedule

    Montreal's new Samuel De Champlain Bridge will open to traffic on June 24, roughly six months behind schedule.

    Montreal's New Champlain Bridge To Open June 24, Six Months Behind Schedule

    Health Minister To Release $50M Dementia Strategy

    Health Minister To Release $50M Dementia Strategy
    OTTAWA — The federal government is releasing a national strategy on dementia today that focuses on preventing the affliction, supporting caregivers and finding cures.

    Health Minister To Release $50M Dementia Strategy