Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

360 Impaired Drivers Taken Off Of Vancouver Roads This Summer, Police Say

Darpan News Desk, 13 Aug, 2019 06:58 PM

    Vancouver Police have taken 360 impaired drivers off of Vancouver roads during this year’s summer CounterAttack campaign — 100 more impaired drivers than last year.


    An increase in officers for this year’s roadblocks, which ran from late June to early August, may have contributed to the increase in numbers, but it is also an indication that impaired driving remains a problem on our roads.


    “Roadblocks can be anywhere. If you drive stoned or drunk, you are putting yourself and others at risk, and the chance of getting caught is very likely,” says Sergeant Jason Robillard. “Some people just aren’t getting the message that impaired driving just isn’t worth it.”


    Of the 360 drivers taken off the roads this past month, 116 drivers were issued roadside suspensions and 244 were issued with immediate roadside prohibitions. Twelve Criminal Code impaired driving charges have also been recommended to Crown counsel.


    CounterAttack road blocks are a partnership between VPD and the Insurance Corporation of B.C., with a mandate to promote safe driving and take impaired motorists off the road. Impaired driving remains one of the leading causes of traffic fatalities in B.C., and it is entirely preventable.


    Anyone who spots an impaired driver is asked to call 9-1-1 immediately.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Province raises drought level in parts of B.C., asks residents to conserve water

    Province raises drought level in parts of B.C., asks residents to conserve water
    The province says several important salmon streams on Vancouver Island are approaching critical environmental thresholds for ecosystems and fish.

    Province raises drought level in parts of B.C., asks residents to conserve water

    SNC-Lavalin delays jury decision in corruption trial until June 28

    SNC-Lavalin delays jury decision in corruption trial until June 28
    Last week a Quebec judge ruled there is enough evidence to send SNC-Lavalin to trial over charges of fraud and corruption, prompting a further tumble in the beleaguered firm's share price.    

    SNC-Lavalin delays jury decision in corruption trial until June 28

    Inuit plan says climate change can't be separated from social issues

    The Arctic is warming twice as quickly as the rest of the planet and that means the Inuit need their own plan to deal with it

    Inuit plan says climate change can't be separated from social issues

    Senators reject chance to immediately kill tanker ban but bill not safe yet

    Senators voted 53-38 to reject a committee report that recommended that Bill C-48 be scrapped; one senator abstained.

    Senators reject chance to immediately kill tanker ban but bill not safe yet

    Documents show federal push for infrastructure bank to back Via project

    The rail company wants to build a multibillion-dollar new network of dedicated passenger-rail lines in Ontario and Quebec

    Documents show federal push for infrastructure bank to back Via project

    Cabinet docs detail Mulroney challenges on China after Tiananmen Square massacre

    The big question for the Canadian Progressive Conservative government of the day was: what do we do about China now?

    Cabinet docs detail Mulroney challenges on China after Tiananmen Square massacre