Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

360 Impaired Drivers Taken Off Of Vancouver Roads This Summer, Police Say

Darpan News Desk, 13 Aug, 2019 06:58 PM

    Vancouver Police have taken 360 impaired drivers off of Vancouver roads during this year’s summer CounterAttack campaign — 100 more impaired drivers than last year.


    An increase in officers for this year’s roadblocks, which ran from late June to early August, may have contributed to the increase in numbers, but it is also an indication that impaired driving remains a problem on our roads.


    “Roadblocks can be anywhere. If you drive stoned or drunk, you are putting yourself and others at risk, and the chance of getting caught is very likely,” says Sergeant Jason Robillard. “Some people just aren’t getting the message that impaired driving just isn’t worth it.”


    Of the 360 drivers taken off the roads this past month, 116 drivers were issued roadside suspensions and 244 were issued with immediate roadside prohibitions. Twelve Criminal Code impaired driving charges have also been recommended to Crown counsel.


    CounterAttack road blocks are a partnership between VPD and the Insurance Corporation of B.C., with a mandate to promote safe driving and take impaired motorists off the road. Impaired driving remains one of the leading causes of traffic fatalities in B.C., and it is entirely preventable.


    Anyone who spots an impaired driver is asked to call 9-1-1 immediately.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Ottawa hit with another tornado, residents complain they got no warning

    Others say they got official warnings on their cellphones for areas outside the city, after the tornado had already passed.

    Ottawa hit with another tornado, residents complain they got no warning

    Canada OK with EU plan to help WTO deal with Trump disruption: Carr

    Jim Carr said the EU's plan to set up a proxy version of the WTO's Appellate Body has merit and deserves further examination. 

    Canada OK with EU plan to help WTO deal with Trump disruption: Carr

    Ottawa, Quebec announce $500 million reconstruction of La Fontaine Tunnel

    Ottawa, Quebec announce $500 million reconstruction of La Fontaine Tunnel
    Work is expected to begin in 2020 and last until 2024.

    Ottawa, Quebec announce $500 million reconstruction of La Fontaine Tunnel

    Canada suspends operations at embassy in Venezuela

    Canada is among as many as 50 countries that have said Maduro stole last year's election and is no longer the legitimate leader of Venezuela.

    Canada suspends operations at embassy in Venezuela

    Northern Alberta residents start returning home after evacuation due to fires

    The last recorded size of the Chuckegg Creek fire near High Level was about 2,800 square kilometres.

    Northern Alberta residents start returning home after evacuation due to fires

    Canada announces new funding model to support women's equality globally

    Maryam Monsef said the Equality Fund brings together 11 organizations from the philanthropic, non-profit and financial sectors, including the Canada-based Match International Women’s Fund, the African Women’s Development Fund and Oxfam Canada.

    Canada announces new funding model to support women's equality globally