Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

360 Impaired Drivers Taken Off Of Vancouver Roads This Summer, Police Say

Darpan News Desk, 13 Aug, 2019 06:58 PM

    Vancouver Police have taken 360 impaired drivers off of Vancouver roads during this year’s summer CounterAttack campaign — 100 more impaired drivers than last year.


    An increase in officers for this year’s roadblocks, which ran from late June to early August, may have contributed to the increase in numbers, but it is also an indication that impaired driving remains a problem on our roads.


    “Roadblocks can be anywhere. If you drive stoned or drunk, you are putting yourself and others at risk, and the chance of getting caught is very likely,” says Sergeant Jason Robillard. “Some people just aren’t getting the message that impaired driving just isn’t worth it.”


    Of the 360 drivers taken off the roads this past month, 116 drivers were issued roadside suspensions and 244 were issued with immediate roadside prohibitions. Twelve Criminal Code impaired driving charges have also been recommended to Crown counsel.


    CounterAttack road blocks are a partnership between VPD and the Insurance Corporation of B.C., with a mandate to promote safe driving and take impaired motorists off the road. Impaired driving remains one of the leading causes of traffic fatalities in B.C., and it is entirely preventable.


    Anyone who spots an impaired driver is asked to call 9-1-1 immediately.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    CBC Head Defends Coverage After Scheer Suggests Too Much Focus On U.S. Politics

    Catherine Tait appeared Thursday before a committee of MPs in Ottawa and was asked by Liberal MP Wayne Long to respond to Scheer's comments, which he said he found concerning.

    CBC Head Defends Coverage After Scheer Suggests Too Much Focus On U.S. Politics

    Woman Can't Have Embryo Implanted Without Ex-Husband's Consent, Court Rules

    Woman Can't Have Embryo Implanted Without Ex-Husband's Consent, Court Rules
    TORONTO — A divorced woman cannot have a purchased frozen embryo implanted over the objections of her ex-husband, Ontario's top court ruled on Friday in a ground-breaking case.

    Woman Can't Have Embryo Implanted Without Ex-Husband's Consent, Court Rules

    Sentencing Hearing To Continue For Calgary Couple Convicted In Son's Death

    Sentencing Hearing To Continue For Calgary Couple Convicted In Son's Death
    A sentencing hearing is to continue today for a Calgary couple convicted in the death of their 14-month-old son.

    Sentencing Hearing To Continue For Calgary Couple Convicted In Son's Death

    Five Charged With Dozens Of Trafficking Offences In Surrey, B.C.

    Five Charged With Dozens Of Trafficking Offences In Surrey, B.C.
    A 51-year-old man and four teenagers face multiple charges in what police in Surrey, B.C., allege is an illicit drug trafficking group operating in the Lower Mainland.

    Five Charged With Dozens Of Trafficking Offences In Surrey, B.C.

    Negotiations Continued Through The Night In Effort To Avoid B.C. Port Lockout

     Talks continued through the night between British Columbia's longshore workers' union and the association representing port employers.

    Negotiations Continued Through The Night In Effort To Avoid B.C. Port Lockout

    B.C. Health Ministry Launches Review Over Medical Response In Patient's Death

    B.C. Health Ministry Launches Review Over Medical Response In Patient's Death
    VICTORIA — British Columbia's health minister has ordered a review of the emergency medical response for a patient who died last November in the Lower Mainland.

    B.C. Health Ministry Launches Review Over Medical Response In Patient's Death