Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

360 Impaired Drivers Taken Off Of Vancouver Roads This Summer, Police Say

Darpan News Desk, 13 Aug, 2019 06:58 PM

    Vancouver Police have taken 360 impaired drivers off of Vancouver roads during this year’s summer CounterAttack campaign — 100 more impaired drivers than last year.


    An increase in officers for this year’s roadblocks, which ran from late June to early August, may have contributed to the increase in numbers, but it is also an indication that impaired driving remains a problem on our roads.


    “Roadblocks can be anywhere. If you drive stoned or drunk, you are putting yourself and others at risk, and the chance of getting caught is very likely,” says Sergeant Jason Robillard. “Some people just aren’t getting the message that impaired driving just isn’t worth it.”


    Of the 360 drivers taken off the roads this past month, 116 drivers were issued roadside suspensions and 244 were issued with immediate roadside prohibitions. Twelve Criminal Code impaired driving charges have also been recommended to Crown counsel.


    CounterAttack road blocks are a partnership between VPD and the Insurance Corporation of B.C., with a mandate to promote safe driving and take impaired motorists off the road. Impaired driving remains one of the leading causes of traffic fatalities in B.C., and it is entirely preventable.


    Anyone who spots an impaired driver is asked to call 9-1-1 immediately.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    N.L. Climber Says Crowding On Mount Everest Is Just One Factor In Death Count

    A climber from Newfoundland and Labrador who made it to the top of Mount Everest during a season marked by multiple deaths says he feels that crowding at the final ascent is just one among several safety problems.    

    N.L. Climber Says Crowding On Mount Everest Is Just One Factor In Death Count

    Family Of Quebec Man Imprisoned In Oman Seeks Ottawa's Help To Bring Him Home

    Family Of Quebec Man Imprisoned In Oman Seeks Ottawa's Help To Bring Him Home
    The family of a Quebec man imprisoned in Oman is asking the Canadian government to help repatriate him before he is extradited to the United Arab Emirates on fraud charges.

    Family Of Quebec Man Imprisoned In Oman Seeks Ottawa's Help To Bring Him Home

    Dubai-Based Indian Names Newborn Son 'Narendra Modi'

    A Dubai-based Indian expat has named his newborn son Narendra Damodardas Modi, as an honour to the Indian Prime Minister's resounding victory in the recently concluded general elections, the media reported on Monday.    

    Dubai-Based Indian Names Newborn Son 'Narendra Modi'

    Parts Of B.C. Under Air Quality Advisory For 24-48 Hours Due To Wildfire Smoke

    Parts Of B.C. Under Air Quality Advisory For 24-48 Hours Due To Wildfire Smoke
    VICTORIA — Environment Canada says wildfire smoke will likely impact parts of British Columbia over the next day or two.

    Parts Of B.C. Under Air Quality Advisory For 24-48 Hours Due To Wildfire Smoke

    Longshore Union Stalls Full-Scale Strike, Begins Overtime Ban At Vancouver Port

    VANCOUVER — Two major container terminals at the Port of Vancouver will not be behind picket lines although longshore workers are in a legal strike position.

    Longshore Union Stalls Full-Scale Strike, Begins Overtime Ban At Vancouver Port

    B.C. Supreme Court Judge Declares Mistrial In Murder Plot Case

    VANCOUVER — The lawyers for Jamie Bacon say a judge has declared a mistrial in a murder plot case.

    B.C. Supreme Court Judge Declares Mistrial In Murder Plot Case