Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

360 Impaired Drivers Taken Off Of Vancouver Roads This Summer, Police Say

Darpan News Desk, 13 Aug, 2019 06:58 PM

    Vancouver Police have taken 360 impaired drivers off of Vancouver roads during this year’s summer CounterAttack campaign — 100 more impaired drivers than last year.


    An increase in officers for this year’s roadblocks, which ran from late June to early August, may have contributed to the increase in numbers, but it is also an indication that impaired driving remains a problem on our roads.


    “Roadblocks can be anywhere. If you drive stoned or drunk, you are putting yourself and others at risk, and the chance of getting caught is very likely,” says Sergeant Jason Robillard. “Some people just aren’t getting the message that impaired driving just isn’t worth it.”


    Of the 360 drivers taken off the roads this past month, 116 drivers were issued roadside suspensions and 244 were issued with immediate roadside prohibitions. Twelve Criminal Code impaired driving charges have also been recommended to Crown counsel.


    CounterAttack road blocks are a partnership between VPD and the Insurance Corporation of B.C., with a mandate to promote safe driving and take impaired motorists off the road. Impaired driving remains one of the leading causes of traffic fatalities in B.C., and it is entirely preventable.


    Anyone who spots an impaired driver is asked to call 9-1-1 immediately.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Two Kids From U.S. Rescued After Spending Night Alone On Burke Mountain In Coquitlam

    Two Kids From U.S. Rescued After Spending Night Alone On Burke Mountain In Coquitlam
    Two Children Are Now Safe After Spending The Night On Steep Terrain On Burke Mountain In Coquitlam, After Getting Lost While On A Hike With Their Father On Sunday

    Two Kids From U.S. Rescued After Spending Night Alone On Burke Mountain In Coquitlam

    Canadian Pilot Patrick Forseth Killed In Honduras Plane Crash: Sister

    A British Columbia woman says her pilot brother was killed in a plane crash in Honduras on Saturday.

    Canadian Pilot Patrick Forseth Killed In Honduras Plane Crash: Sister

    Money Laundering Report A Wake-Up Call For Canada, But Some Provinces Skeptical

    The authors of a report that found $47 billion was laundered across Canada last year debated whether to include a graph that indicated Alberta, Ontario and the Prairies were hotspots for dirty money, says the lead writer.

    Money Laundering Report A Wake-Up Call For Canada, But Some Provinces Skeptical

    RCMP Video Brings Home Reality In A 'Visceral Way': Former Truth And Reconciliation Chairman

    The 2012 video was released publicly by APTN this week as a result of a court proceeding and has prompted political reaction, including from the federal public safety minister, who called its contents "absolutely abhorrent."

    RCMP Video Brings Home Reality In A 'Visceral Way': Former Truth And Reconciliation Chairman

    B.C. Reports High Returns On Speculation Tax Forms, 99 Per Cent Will Not Pay Tax

    The Ministry of Finance says more than 97 per cent of people in British Columbia who received speculation and vacancy tax notices have filed their declaration forms.

    B.C. Reports High Returns On Speculation Tax Forms, 99 Per Cent Will Not Pay Tax

    2nd Woman Testifies Against Winnipeg Suspect In Death Of Woman Found In Barrel

    WINNIPEG — A woman is testifying that she was once wrapped in duct tape and threatened with a meat cleaver by a Winnipeg man accused of killing another woman whose body was found in a barrel.

    2nd Woman Testifies Against Winnipeg Suspect In Death Of Woman Found In Barrel