Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

360 Impaired Drivers Taken Off Of Vancouver Roads This Summer, Police Say

Darpan News Desk, 13 Aug, 2019 06:58 PM

    Vancouver Police have taken 360 impaired drivers off of Vancouver roads during this year’s summer CounterAttack campaign — 100 more impaired drivers than last year.


    An increase in officers for this year’s roadblocks, which ran from late June to early August, may have contributed to the increase in numbers, but it is also an indication that impaired driving remains a problem on our roads.


    “Roadblocks can be anywhere. If you drive stoned or drunk, you are putting yourself and others at risk, and the chance of getting caught is very likely,” says Sergeant Jason Robillard. “Some people just aren’t getting the message that impaired driving just isn’t worth it.”


    Of the 360 drivers taken off the roads this past month, 116 drivers were issued roadside suspensions and 244 were issued with immediate roadside prohibitions. Twelve Criminal Code impaired driving charges have also been recommended to Crown counsel.


    CounterAttack road blocks are a partnership between VPD and the Insurance Corporation of B.C., with a mandate to promote safe driving and take impaired motorists off the road. Impaired driving remains one of the leading causes of traffic fatalities in B.C., and it is entirely preventable.


    Anyone who spots an impaired driver is asked to call 9-1-1 immediately.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Sajjan Says He Supported Chief Of Defence Staff's Decision To Suspend Norman

    Sajjan told the House of Commons on Wednesday that the decision was Gen. Jonathan Vance's alone.

    Sajjan Says He Supported Chief Of Defence Staff's Decision To Suspend Norman

    Spooking Speeders: Prairie City Latest To Use Police Cut-Outs On Busy Roads

    LLOYDMINSTER, Alta. — Some new scarecrows are popping up on the Prairies, but these aren't meant for bluffing birds.

    Spooking Speeders: Prairie City Latest To Use Police Cut-Outs On Busy Roads

    Police Suspend Search For 29-Year-Old Man Who Went Missing On B.C. Beach

    Police Suspend Search For 29-Year-Old Man Who Went Missing On B.C. Beach
    SOOKE, B.C. — Police have suspended the search for a 29-year-old man who went missing on a beach in British Columbia.    

    Police Suspend Search For 29-Year-Old Man Who Went Missing On B.C. Beach

    Province Funds Project Angel In Fight Against Opioid Crisis In The Fraser Valley

    The Abbotsford Opioid Working Group received a grant from the Province of British Columbia to fund ‘Project Angel’, an initiative aimed at combatting the opioid crisis.

    Province Funds Project Angel In Fight Against Opioid Crisis In The Fraser Valley

    'Dignity And Wisdom': Chief Justice Praises Gascon After Final High-Court Case

    OTTAWA — Supreme Court Justice Clement Gascon received a standing ovation today after hearing his final case on the high court.    

    'Dignity And Wisdom': Chief Justice Praises Gascon After Final High-Court Case

    Police Investigating 'Suspicious Occurrence' In South Surrey

    Surrey RCMP is asking for the public’s assistance in the investigation of a suspicious occurrence.    

    Police Investigating 'Suspicious Occurrence' In South Surrey