Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

360 Impaired Drivers Taken Off Of Vancouver Roads This Summer, Police Say

Darpan News Desk, 13 Aug, 2019 06:58 PM

    Vancouver Police have taken 360 impaired drivers off of Vancouver roads during this year’s summer CounterAttack campaign — 100 more impaired drivers than last year.


    An increase in officers for this year’s roadblocks, which ran from late June to early August, may have contributed to the increase in numbers, but it is also an indication that impaired driving remains a problem on our roads.


    “Roadblocks can be anywhere. If you drive stoned or drunk, you are putting yourself and others at risk, and the chance of getting caught is very likely,” says Sergeant Jason Robillard. “Some people just aren’t getting the message that impaired driving just isn’t worth it.”


    Of the 360 drivers taken off the roads this past month, 116 drivers were issued roadside suspensions and 244 were issued with immediate roadside prohibitions. Twelve Criminal Code impaired driving charges have also been recommended to Crown counsel.


    CounterAttack road blocks are a partnership between VPD and the Insurance Corporation of B.C., with a mandate to promote safe driving and take impaired motorists off the road. Impaired driving remains one of the leading causes of traffic fatalities in B.C., and it is entirely preventable.


    Anyone who spots an impaired driver is asked to call 9-1-1 immediately.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Mother Of Child Who Died Angry Anti-Vaccine Page Used Girl's Image On Facebook

    ST. JOHN'S, N.L. — The mother of a young Newfoundland girl who died last summer is furious her daughter's altered image was used online as part of an anti-vaccination campaign.

    Mother Of Child Who Died Angry Anti-Vaccine Page Used Girl's Image On Facebook

    Chief Of Defence Staff, DND Deputy Minister Brief Federal Cabinet

    OTTAWA — Canada's top general and the deputy minister of national defence are attending the federal cabinet this morning a week after the criminal case against the military's former second-in-command fell apart.

    Chief Of Defence Staff, DND Deputy Minister Brief Federal Cabinet

    Edmonton Restaurant Won't Mess With Mother Goose That Has Nest Near Patio

    EDMONTON — An Edmonton restaurant says it won't mess with a Canada goose that has a nest near its patio.    

    Edmonton Restaurant Won't Mess With Mother Goose That Has Nest Near Patio

    Famed UFO Researcher Stanton Friedman Dead After Half Century Of Lectures

    FREDERICTON — Stanton T. Friedman, nuclear physicist, lecturer and world-renowned devotee of extraterrestrial existence, has died at the age of 84.    

    Famed UFO Researcher Stanton Friedman Dead After Half Century Of Lectures

    Crown Appeals Acquittal Of Ex-Violin Teacher Who Measured Students' Bare Breasts

    Prosecutors are asking Ontario's highest court to overturn the acquittal of a former violin teacher who measured his teenage students' bare breasts while fitting them for shoulder rests.    

    Crown Appeals Acquittal Of Ex-Violin Teacher Who Measured Students' Bare Breasts

    Judge Awards Businessman $2.5 Million For Suffering 'Hate Speech At Its Worst'

    Ontario Superior Court Justice Jane Ferguson ordered Kevin J. Johnston to pay a total of $2.5 million in damages for defamation to Mohamad Fakih, the owner and founder of Paramount Fine Foods.

    Judge Awards Businessman $2.5 Million For Suffering 'Hate Speech At Its Worst'