Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

360 Impaired Drivers Taken Off Of Vancouver Roads This Summer, Police Say

Darpan News Desk, 13 Aug, 2019 06:58 PM

    Vancouver Police have taken 360 impaired drivers off of Vancouver roads during this year’s summer CounterAttack campaign — 100 more impaired drivers than last year.


    An increase in officers for this year’s roadblocks, which ran from late June to early August, may have contributed to the increase in numbers, but it is also an indication that impaired driving remains a problem on our roads.


    “Roadblocks can be anywhere. If you drive stoned or drunk, you are putting yourself and others at risk, and the chance of getting caught is very likely,” says Sergeant Jason Robillard. “Some people just aren’t getting the message that impaired driving just isn’t worth it.”


    Of the 360 drivers taken off the roads this past month, 116 drivers were issued roadside suspensions and 244 were issued with immediate roadside prohibitions. Twelve Criminal Code impaired driving charges have also been recommended to Crown counsel.


    CounterAttack road blocks are a partnership between VPD and the Insurance Corporation of B.C., with a mandate to promote safe driving and take impaired motorists off the road. Impaired driving remains one of the leading causes of traffic fatalities in B.C., and it is entirely preventable.


    Anyone who spots an impaired driver is asked to call 9-1-1 immediately.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Caretaker Of Vacant Victoria Hotel Still Missing, Days After Blaze

    Caretaker Of Vacant Victoria Hotel Still Missing, Days After Blaze
    Victoria Fire Chief Paul Bruce said Mike Draeger, the caretaker at the former Plaza Hotel, is missing. Victoria Police want Draeger or anybody who knows of his whereabouts to contact the police.    

    Caretaker Of Vacant Victoria Hotel Still Missing, Days After Blaze

    Missing Supreme Court Justice Clement Gascon 'In Good Health,' Supreme Court Judge's Family Says

    OTTAWA — The family of Supreme Court Justice Clement Gascon says he is in good health a day after he briefly went missing.    

    Missing Supreme Court Justice Clement Gascon 'In Good Health,' Supreme Court Judge's Family Says

    Quebec Court Of Appeal Rejects Class Action Against Loto-Quebec By Ticket Buyer

    The decision announced today upholds a previous Quebec Superior Court judgment that also rejected the request.

    Quebec Court Of Appeal Rejects Class Action Against Loto-Quebec By Ticket Buyer

    Former Senator Links Hijab And Mutilation At Quebec Secularism Hearings

    Hearings into Quebec's secularism bill veered off track Thursday when a former senator drew a connection between the Muslim head scarf, female genital mutilation and forced marriage.  

    Former Senator Links Hijab And Mutilation At Quebec Secularism Hearings

    Tom Cheung, Pastor, Father Of 3 From Richmond, Identified As Victim In Fiery Peace Arch Border Crossing

    SURREY, B.C. — A man who was killed in a fiery crash near the Peace Arch border crossing in British Columbia last week was a pastor and father of three from Richmond.

    Tom Cheung, Pastor, Father Of 3 From Richmond, Identified As Victim In Fiery Peace Arch Border Crossing

    Calgary Police Looking To Identify Good Samaritan In Turban Who Helped Young Child In Medical Distress

    Calgary Police Looking To Identify Good Samaritan In Turban Who Assisted Young Child In Medical Distress    

    Calgary Police Looking To Identify Good Samaritan In Turban Who Helped Young Child In Medical Distress