Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

360 Impaired Drivers Taken Off Of Vancouver Roads This Summer, Police Say

Darpan News Desk, 13 Aug, 2019 06:58 PM

    Vancouver Police have taken 360 impaired drivers off of Vancouver roads during this year’s summer CounterAttack campaign — 100 more impaired drivers than last year.


    An increase in officers for this year’s roadblocks, which ran from late June to early August, may have contributed to the increase in numbers, but it is also an indication that impaired driving remains a problem on our roads.


    “Roadblocks can be anywhere. If you drive stoned or drunk, you are putting yourself and others at risk, and the chance of getting caught is very likely,” says Sergeant Jason Robillard. “Some people just aren’t getting the message that impaired driving just isn’t worth it.”


    Of the 360 drivers taken off the roads this past month, 116 drivers were issued roadside suspensions and 244 were issued with immediate roadside prohibitions. Twelve Criminal Code impaired driving charges have also been recommended to Crown counsel.


    CounterAttack road blocks are a partnership between VPD and the Insurance Corporation of B.C., with a mandate to promote safe driving and take impaired motorists off the road. Impaired driving remains one of the leading causes of traffic fatalities in B.C., and it is entirely preventable.


    Anyone who spots an impaired driver is asked to call 9-1-1 immediately.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Family Says Brazilian Model Who Died On Catwalk Was Healthy

    RIO DE JANEIRO — Relatives of a model who died on the catwalk during Sao Paulo Fashion Week say the man was apparently healthy.

    Family Says Brazilian Model Who Died On Catwalk Was Healthy

    Buying An Electric Car Becomes Cheaper Today As Federal Rebates Kick In

    OTTAWA — Federal rebates to encourage Canadians to buy electric cars take effect today.    

    Buying An Electric Car Becomes Cheaper Today As Federal Rebates Kick In

    Liberal Mp, Retired General, Andrew Leslie Says He Won't Seek Re-Election

    OTTAWA — A first-time Liberal MP and longtime military man says he won't run for re-election this fall.

    Liberal Mp, Retired General, Andrew Leslie Says He Won't Seek Re-Election

    Trudeau Taps Veteran Jeremy Broadhurst To Run Liberal Re-Election Campaign

    Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has turned to veteran Liberal Jeremy Broadhurst to run the governing party's bid for re-election this fall.

    Trudeau Taps Veteran Jeremy Broadhurst To Run Liberal Re-Election Campaign

    Parking Spot Dispute Ends With Machete Confrontation In Langford, B.C.: Police

    The RCMP are reminding the public not to engage in road rage after a woman allegedly pulled out a machete during a dispute over a parking spot in Langford, B.C.    

    Parking Spot Dispute Ends With Machete Confrontation In Langford, B.C.: Police

    Fatal Shooting In New Westminster Park: 19-Year-Old Male Arrested And Charged With Murder

    A man has been charged with second-degree murder in a weekend shooting death in New Westminster, B.C.    

    Fatal Shooting In New Westminster Park: 19-Year-Old Male Arrested And Charged With Murder