Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

360 Impaired Drivers Taken Off Of Vancouver Roads This Summer, Police Say

Darpan News Desk, 13 Aug, 2019 06:58 PM

    Vancouver Police have taken 360 impaired drivers off of Vancouver roads during this year’s summer CounterAttack campaign — 100 more impaired drivers than last year.


    An increase in officers for this year’s roadblocks, which ran from late June to early August, may have contributed to the increase in numbers, but it is also an indication that impaired driving remains a problem on our roads.


    “Roadblocks can be anywhere. If you drive stoned or drunk, you are putting yourself and others at risk, and the chance of getting caught is very likely,” says Sergeant Jason Robillard. “Some people just aren’t getting the message that impaired driving just isn’t worth it.”


    Of the 360 drivers taken off the roads this past month, 116 drivers were issued roadside suspensions and 244 were issued with immediate roadside prohibitions. Twelve Criminal Code impaired driving charges have also been recommended to Crown counsel.


    CounterAttack road blocks are a partnership between VPD and the Insurance Corporation of B.C., with a mandate to promote safe driving and take impaired motorists off the road. Impaired driving remains one of the leading causes of traffic fatalities in B.C., and it is entirely preventable.


    Anyone who spots an impaired driver is asked to call 9-1-1 immediately.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Feds Facing Short Runway On Fighter Jets Amid New Questions About Schedule

    Feds Facing Short Runway On Fighter Jets Amid New Questions About Schedule
    Canada's head of military procurement says the federal government is facing a short runway if it wants to get new fighter jets in time to avoid putting even more money into its aging CF-18s.

    Feds Facing Short Runway On Fighter Jets Amid New Questions About Schedule

    Crown Seeks One-Year Jail Term Against Editor Convicted Of Promoting Hate

    Crown Seeks One-Year Jail Term Against Editor Convicted Of Promoting Hate
    TORONTO — The Crown is seeking a one-year jail term for a Toronto editor convicted of promoting hatred against women and Jews.    

    Crown Seeks One-Year Jail Term Against Editor Convicted Of Promoting Hate

    Don't Make Election About Immigration, Corporate Canada Tells Political Leaders

    Big business leaders worried about Canada's aging demographics have been urging political parties to avoid inflaming the immigration debate ahead of this fall's federal election.

    Don't Make Election About Immigration, Corporate Canada Tells Political Leaders

    Public Safety Minister Says Floods Teaching Governments Expensive Lessons

    Public Safety Minister Says Floods Teaching Governments Expensive Lessons
    REGINA — Canada's public safety minister says flooding is teaching all levels of government some expensive lessons.

    Public Safety Minister Says Floods Teaching Governments Expensive Lessons

    Alexandre Bissonnette's Parents Ask Prime Minister To Stop Calling Their Son A Terrorist

    QUEBEC — The father of the Quebec City mosque shooter is urging Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and others to stop referring to his son as a terrorist.

    Alexandre Bissonnette's Parents Ask Prime Minister To Stop Calling Their Son A Terrorist

    Trudeau Government Ran $3.1-Billion Surplus In First 11 Months Of 2018-19

    Trudeau Government Ran $3.1-Billion Surplus In First 11 Months Of 2018-19
    A preliminary estimate of the federal books says the government posted a surplus of $3.1 billion through the first 11 months of the fiscal year.  

    Trudeau Government Ran $3.1-Billion Surplus In First 11 Months Of 2018-19