Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

360 Impaired Drivers Taken Off Of Vancouver Roads This Summer, Police Say

Darpan News Desk, 13 Aug, 2019 06:58 PM

    Vancouver Police have taken 360 impaired drivers off of Vancouver roads during this year’s summer CounterAttack campaign — 100 more impaired drivers than last year.


    An increase in officers for this year’s roadblocks, which ran from late June to early August, may have contributed to the increase in numbers, but it is also an indication that impaired driving remains a problem on our roads.


    “Roadblocks can be anywhere. If you drive stoned or drunk, you are putting yourself and others at risk, and the chance of getting caught is very likely,” says Sergeant Jason Robillard. “Some people just aren’t getting the message that impaired driving just isn’t worth it.”


    Of the 360 drivers taken off the roads this past month, 116 drivers were issued roadside suspensions and 244 were issued with immediate roadside prohibitions. Twelve Criminal Code impaired driving charges have also been recommended to Crown counsel.


    CounterAttack road blocks are a partnership between VPD and the Insurance Corporation of B.C., with a mandate to promote safe driving and take impaired motorists off the road. Impaired driving remains one of the leading causes of traffic fatalities in B.C., and it is entirely preventable.


    Anyone who spots an impaired driver is asked to call 9-1-1 immediately.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Free Transit OK'd For Youth Living In Victoria, Starts In September

    The Victoria Regional Transit Commission unanimously approved a plan by the municipality to provide free bus passes to students who live in the city and are 18 years old or under.

    Free Transit OK'd For Youth Living In Victoria, Starts In September

    Man Who Praised Quebec Mosque Shooter In Online Videos Gets 30 Days In Jail

    LAVAL, Que. — A Quebec man who was found guilty last May of inciting hatred against Muslims has been sentenced to 30 days in jail.    

    Man Who Praised Quebec Mosque Shooter In Online Videos Gets 30 Days In Jail

    Quebec Trying To Speed Up Process To Adopt Secularism Bill Ahead Of Summer Break

    Quebec Premier Francois Legault says his government is showing good faith by specifying what kinds of religious symbols it plans to ban for many public sector workers.

    Quebec Trying To Speed Up Process To Adopt Secularism Bill Ahead Of Summer Break

    Father Tells B.C. Judge That Happy, Loving Girl, 8, Taken For No Reason

    NEW WESTMINSTER, B.C. — The father of an eight-year-old girl who was smothered by her mother says a happy, empathetic, sensitive and loving child was taken away from the world for no reason.

    Father Tells B.C. Judge That Happy, Loving Girl, 8, Taken For No Reason

    Two Canadian Women Abducted In Ghana Rescued, Begin Journey Home

    Two young Canadian women who were kidnapped while volunteering in Ghana have begun their journey home after being rescued by authorities in the West African country on Wednesday.

    Two Canadian Women Abducted In Ghana Rescued, Begin Journey Home

    It's Spring, But B.C. Already Sounds Drought Alarms; Fish, Water, Fire Threats

    It's Spring, But B.C. Already Sounds Drought Alarms; Fish, Water, Fire Threats
    The likelihood of a drought in British Columbia is rising as warm weather melts away what's left of a minuscule mountain snow pack and spring rains fail to appear, say provincial wildfire and forecast experts.

    It's Spring, But B.C. Already Sounds Drought Alarms; Fish, Water, Fire Threats