As of Thursday, Oct. 21, 2021, 89.4% (4,141,865) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 83.8% (3,883,585) received their second dose.
In addition, 89.8% (3,884,354) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 84.4% (3,652,493) received their second dose.
B.C. is reporting 715 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 200,249 cases in the province.
There are 4,965 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 192,819 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 377 individuals are in hospital and 136 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
Note: Intensive care numbers are a subset of the total in hospital. They are not in addition to the number of people in hospital.
The new/active cases include:
- 285 new cases in Fraser Health
- Total active cases: 1,971
- 60 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
- Total active cases: 686
- 137 new cases in Interior Health
- Total active cases: 808
- 172 new cases in Northern Health
- Total active cases: 937
- 61 new cases in Island Health
- Total active cases: 504
- no new cases of a people who reside outside of Canada
- Total active cases: 59
In the past 24 hours, four new deaths (Northern Health) have been reported, for an overall total of 2,096.
There have been two new health-care facility outbreaks at Deni House (Interior Health) and Bulkley Valley District Hospital (Northern Health), for a total of 26 active outbreaks, including:
- long-term care:
- Willingdon Care Centre, Westminster House, Magnolia Gardens, Manoah Manor, Cherington Place, West Shore Laylum, Queens Park Care Centre, Heritage Village (Fraser Health);
- Amica Lions Gate (Vancouver Coastal Health);
- Cottonwoods Care Centre, Overlander, Village by the Station, Haven Hill Retirement Centre, Deni House (Interior Health); and
- Wrinch Memorial Hospital (Northern Health).
- acute care:
- Mission Memorial Hospital (Fraser Health);
- University Hospital of Northern BC, GR Baker Memorial Hospital, Bulkley Valley District Hospital (Northern Health); and
- Tofino General Hospital (Island Health).
- assisted or independent living:
- Sunset Manor, Evergreen Manor, Menno Terrace West, The Emerald at Elim Village, Swedish Assisted Living Residence (Fraser Health); and
- Cooper Place (Vancouver Coastal Health).
From Oct. 13-19, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 66.4% of cases and from Oct. 6-19, they accounted for 76.2% of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (Oct. 13-19) – Total 4,351
- Not vaccinated: 2,561 (58.9%)
- Partially vaccinated: 325 (7.5%)
- Fully vaccinated: 1,465 (33.7%)
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Oct. 6-19) – Total 445
- Not vaccinated: 314 (70.6%)
- Partially vaccinated: 25 (5.6%)
- Fully vaccinated: 106 (23.8%)
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Oct. 13-19)
- Not vaccinated: 308.7
- Partially vaccinated: 95.6
- Fully vaccinated: 34.5
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Oct. 6-19)
- Not vaccinated: 53.9
- Partially vaccinated: 11.0
- Fully vaccinated: 2.4
Since December 2020, the Province has administered 8,103,896 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.