As of Thursday, Sept. 9, 2021, 85.3% (3,955,624) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 77.8% (3,608,067) received their second dose.
In addition, 85.9% (3,716,975) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 78.8% (3,406,522) received their second dose.
B.C. is reporting 774 new cases of COVID-19, including three epi-linked cases, for a total of 172,338 cases in the province.
There are 5,594 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 164,470 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 262 individuals are in hospital and 130 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
Note: Intensive care numbers are a subset of the total in hospital. They are not in addition to the number of people in hospital.
The new/active cases include:
- 233 new cases in Fraser Health
- Total active cases: 1,669
- 123 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
- Total active cases: 926
- 253 new cases in Interior Health
- Total active cases: 1,747
- 98 new cases in Northern Health
- Total active cases: 752
- 65 new cases in Island Health
- Total active cases: 487
- two new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
- Total active cases: 13
In the past 24 hours, five new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 1,847.
The new deaths include:
- Fraser Health: three
- Northern Health: one
- Island Health: one
There have been no new health-care facility outbreaks. There are 22 active outbreaks, including:
- long-term care: Northcrest Care Centre, Menno Home (Fraser Health), Arbutus Care Centre, Brock Fahrni, Louis Brier Home and Hospital (Vancouver Coastal Health), Village at Mill Creek – second floor, Cottonwoods Care Centre, Brookhaven Care Centre, Spring Valley Care Centre, Kamloops Seniors Village, Hillside Village, The Hamlets at Westsyde, Joseph Creek Care Village (Interior Health), Sunset Lodge (Island Health) and Jubilee Lodge (Northern Health)
- acute care: Chilliwack General Hospital (Fraser Health) and Fort St. John Hospital (Northern Health)
- assisted or independent living: Nicola Meadows, David Lloyd Jones, Sun Pointe Village, Hardy View Lodge and Rose Woods Village (Interior Health)
From Sept. 1-7, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 78.6% of cases, and from Aug. 25-Sept. 7, they accounted for 86.3% of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (Sept. 1-7) – Total 4,694
- Not vaccinated: 3,296 (70.2%)
- Partially vaccinated: 393 (8.4%)
- Fully vaccinated: 1,005 (21.4%)
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Aug. 25-Sept. 7) – Total 344
- Not vaccinated: 277 (80.5%)
- Partially vaccinated: 20 (5.8%)
- Fully vaccinated: 47 (13.7%)
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 1-7)
- Not vaccinated: 301.4
- Partially vaccinated: 84.8
- Fully vaccinated: 26.0
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Aug. 25-Sept. 7)
- Not vaccinated: 37.1
- Partially vaccinated: 6.8
- Fully vaccinated: 1.1
After factoring for age, people not vaccinated are 34 times more likely to be hospitalized than those fully vaccinated.