Friday, August 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

A look back at the Keystone XL pipeline drama as Trump touts its potential revival

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Aug, 2026 12:23 PM
  • A look back at the Keystone XL pipeline drama as Trump touts its potential revival

The latest volley of U.S. tariffs targeting Canada are temporarily on hold, and social media postings from U.S. President Donald Trump suggest a revival of the defunct Keystone XL pipeline is factoring into ongoing negotiations. 

Trump posted Tuesday night on his Truth Social platform that Canada and the U.S. "have a DEAL!"

"The great Keystone XL Pipeline, long ago killed by Sleepy Joe Biden, may be awoken from the grave!" he wrote. 

A subsequent post showed a rendering of the president yanking a pipeline out of the ground beside a tombstone labelled "buried by Biden" and alongside another sign reading "Keystone Pipeline. Completely Free. Energy. Jobs. America First." 

Here is a recap of the nearly two-decade Keystone XL soap opera and recent reboot efforts: 

TransCanada Corp. — since rebranded as TC Energy Corp. — first proposed the Keystone XL extension in 2008. It would have expanded an existing pipeline delivering crude from Hardisty, Alta., to refineries in the U.S. Midwest and provided a direct route to the world's biggest refining complex on the Texas coast. 

Canada's energy regulator approved the plan in 2010. South of the border was another matter as activists made the project a proxy for the broader battle against climate change.

The saga was marked by pipeline reroutes, lawsuits, political showdowns and high-profile protests that saw the likes of actors Margot Kidder and Daryl Hannah arrested outside the White House. 

Former president Barack Obama nixed the pipeline — twice — only to have President Donald Trump reinstate its permit during his first term. Former president Joe Biden pulled the plug on the pipeline again on his first day in the White House in 2021. 

In his second term, Trump has said repeatedly he wants to revive Keystone XL, and it has been — in a way.

The existing system is now owned by South Bow Corp., which was spun off in late 2024 from TC Energy. 

South Bow had earlier said it "moved on" from the contentious Keystone XL proposal, but that it would "continue to explore opportunities that leverage our existing corridor."

South Bow this spring held an "open season" — a formal process to solicit bids from potential customers — for its Prairie Connector proposal. It received 20-year binding commitments amounting to 465,000 barrels a day for firm transportation service from Hardisty, Alta., to the Canada-U.S. border, where it would connect to another pipeline proposed by Bridger Pipeline LLC to Wyoming. Trump has granted a cross-border permit to Bridger. 

Prairie Connector would use about 150 kilometres of pipe in the ground on the Canadian side that had been intended for Keystone XL, South Bow has said. The company plans to make a final investment decision next year. 

"Over the coming months, we will focus on stakeholder engagement, execution planning, cost refinement, financing, and securing the permit durability needed to support that decision," Bevin Wirzba, South Bow's chief executive, told analysts on a quarterly earnings conference call earlier this month. 

Picture Courtesy: AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki, File

MORE National ARTICLES

Carney nearly begged premiers to put U.S. booze back on shelves to secure deal: Kinew

Carney nearly begged premiers to put U.S. booze back on shelves to secure deal: Kinew
Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he wishes Canada pushed harder against the U.S. in trade negotiations, but that he understands where Prime Minister Mark Carney is coming from in his bid to seal a deal.

Carney nearly begged premiers to put U.S. booze back on shelves to secure deal: Kinew

B.C.'s youngest wildfire evacuees begin processing the return home

B.C.'s youngest wildfire evacuees begin processing the return home
An early childhood education expert says young wildfire evacuees are likely to feel the impact on their sense of safety even after they return home.

B.C.'s youngest wildfire evacuees begin processing the return home

A timeline of Donald Trump's trade war with Canada

A timeline of Donald Trump's trade war with Canada
Donald Trump was elected to a second term as U.S. President in 2024 and it’s been a roller-coaster ever since for Canadian leaders and businesses. He has threatened, enacted, modified and delayed multiple rounds of tariffs, only to announce additional protectionist trade policies are to come. 

A timeline of Donald Trump's trade war with Canada

Aisha Estey out as B.C. Conservative president as shakeup continues

Aisha Estey out as B.C. Conservative president as shakeup continues
British Columbia's Opposition Conservatives have replaced party president Aisha Estey as the shakeup under new leader Kerry-Lynne Findlay continues.

Aisha Estey out as B.C. Conservative president as shakeup continues

Canada silent as Israel clears itself in death of aid workers, including a Canadian

Canada silent as Israel clears itself in death of aid workers, including a Canadian
Israel has concluded its military did not commit a criminal act when it killed a Canadian and six other aid workers in Gaza two years ago.

Canada silent as Israel clears itself in death of aid workers, including a Canadian

LeBlanc back in Washington to meet with Greer, continue deal finalization

LeBlanc back in Washington to meet with Greer, continue deal finalization
Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc returned to Washington on Thursday to meet again with U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer as work continues to finalize a deal to avert a new round of U.S. tariffs.

LeBlanc back in Washington to meet with Greer, continue deal finalization

PrevNext