Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Account tweaks for young Instagram users 'minimum' expected by B.C., David Eby says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 17 Sep, 2024 04:08 PM
  • Account tweaks for young Instagram users 'minimum' expected by B.C., David Eby says

Premier David Eby says new account control measures for young Instagram users introduced Tuesday by social media giant Meta are the "minimum" expected of tech companies to keep kids safe online. 

The parent company of Instagram says users in Canada and elsewhere under 18 will have their accounts set to private by default starting Tuesday, restricting who can send messages, among other parental controls and settings.

Speaking at an unrelated event Tuesday, Eby says the province began talks with social media companies after threatening legislation that would put big tech companies on the hook for "significant potential damages" if they were found negligent in failing to keep kids safe from online predators. 

Eby says the case of Carson Cleland, a 12-year-old from Prince George, B.C., who took his own life last year after being targeted by a predator on Snapchat, was "horrific and totally preventable." 

He says social media apps are "nothing special," and should be held to the same child safety standards as anyone who operates a place that invites young people, whether it's an amusement park, a playground or an online platform. 

In a progress report released Tuesday about the province's engagement with big tech companies including Google, Meta, TikTok, Spapchat and X, formerly known as Twitter, the provincial government says the companies are implementing changes, including a "trusted flagger" option to quickly remove intimate images. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Coquitlam man facing drug charges in nation wide operation

Coquitlam man facing drug charges in nation wide operation
A Coquitlam man is facing is facing a long list of charges, including trafficking and possession after police say they uncovered a large-scale, cross-Canada drug operation. BC's Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit says police conducted a yearlong investigation that included police in Manitoba, resulting in three arrests and a large quantity of drugs and weapons seized.  

Coquitlam man facing drug charges in nation wide operation

Drunk Indo-Canadian man crashes car in US with four-month-old baby inside

Drunk Indo-Canadian man crashes car in US with four-month-old baby inside
A 30-year-old Indo-Canadian has been charged in the US state of Florida for driving drunk and crashing his vehicle with his four-month-old daughter inside. Peeyush Gupta, a resident of Ontario province, was taken into custody last week and remains behind bars in Monroe County’s Key West jail facility.  

Drunk Indo-Canadian man crashes car in US with four-month-old baby inside

1 in 4 Canadians fear income won't cover basic needs: Salvation Army poll

1 in 4 Canadians fear income won't cover basic needs: Salvation Army poll
A new survey suggests one in four Canadians are extremely concerned about having enough income to cover their basic needs, with the highest degree of hardship being felt by single parents. The Salvation Army released the data today as part of their annual report examining Canadians' attitudes and experiences with poverty and related socioeconomic issues.

1 in 4 Canadians fear income won't cover basic needs: Salvation Army poll

RCMP warn about spike in online extremism among Canadian youth

RCMP warn about spike in online extremism among Canadian youth
The Mounties say five Canadian youth have been arrested in terror-related cases since June. Jewish and Muslim leaders across Canada have reported an increase in hate-motivated attacks since the terrorist attacks launched by Hamas on Israel on Oct. 7, and the massive military response by Israel in Gaza.

RCMP warn about spike in online extremism among Canadian youth

Powerful gusts over 100 kilometres per hour, steady rain projected to hit East Coast

Powerful gusts over 100 kilometres per hour, steady rain projected to hit East Coast
Ian Hubbard with Environment Canada says strong winds are forecast to begin in southern Nova Scotia and New Brunswick and sweep across the provinces through the day and overnight. The storm is expected to head overnight across the Cabot Strait and into southern Newfoundland, where powerful winds are also expected. Hubbard says the strongest gusts may reach up to 110 km/h and that between 50 to 80 millimetres of rain will fall.

Powerful gusts over 100 kilometres per hour, steady rain projected to hit East Coast

Canada joins EU, Britain, others decrying 'extremist settlers' violence in West Bank

Canada joins EU, Britain, others decrying 'extremist settlers' violence in West Bank
The United Nations says violence in the Israel-occupied Palestinian territory of the West Bank has risen at an unprecedented rate since the Oct. 7 attack by Hamas militants prompted Israel to bombard the Gaza Strip. Armed groups living in Israeli settlements, deemed illegal under international law, have attacked Palestinians hundreds of times and forced more than 1,200 to leave their homes.

Canada joins EU, Britain, others decrying 'extremist settlers' violence in West Bank