Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Agreement Allows Police In Vancouver Pride Parade, But Changes Will Be Made

The Canadian Press, 19 May, 2017 11:45 AM
    VANCOUVER — The Vancouver Police Department says its members will walk in the city's Pride parade this year.
     
    The department says representatives have been in discussion with groups including the Vancouver Pride Society and police officers will be allowed to take part, although some changes will be made.
     
    A department news release says no marked police vehicles will be included in the 2017 parade and officers will walk as part of the City of Vancouver's entry, along with city staff and members of Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services.
     
    About 80 per cent of the department's Pride contingent will walk in T-shirts, while another 20 per cent will be in uniform. 
     
    The department has also agreed to participate in listening circles arranged by the Pride Society, allowing community members to share their stories with police.
     
    The changes follow requests from parade organizations across Canada that police not attend their annual events and Toronto Pride voted earlier this year to remove police floats and uniformed officers from their event.
     
    "Our members and volunteers look forward to participating in the Pride parade each year, and we're pleased that we can keep that tradition going," says department spokesman Staff Sgt. Randy Fincham.
     
    Supporting Vancouver's LGBTQ2S+ community goes beyond the parade and police will continue with outreach, education, and awareness efforts year-round, he says.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Police Seek Help Identifying Unknown Fire Victim In Surrey

    Police Seek Help Identifying Unknown Fire Victim In Surrey
    Surrey RCMP is asking for the public’s assistance in identifying a person that perished in a shed fire earlier this year in the City Centre area The victim is believed to be of no fixed address.

    Police Seek Help Identifying Unknown Fire Victim In Surrey

    Ontario Man, 25, Wanted In Death Of His Wife, Who Was Nine Months Pregnant

    Ontario Man, 25, Wanted In Death Of His Wife, Who Was Nine Months Pregnant
    Investigators are looking for 25-year-old Nicholas Tyler Baig of Pickering, Ont., who is wanted for second-degree murder.

    Ontario Man, 25, Wanted In Death Of His Wife, Who Was Nine Months Pregnant

    Seven Months Later, Kamloops Police Reveal Details For The First Time Of Murdered Man

    The body of Robert Gair was found on a rural road outside of Kamloops, B.C., last September, but his family wasn't told where his remains were discovered until Friday.

    Seven Months Later, Kamloops Police Reveal Details For The First Time Of Murdered Man

    B.C. Premier More Hopeful For Softwood Lumber Deal Under Trump Than Obama

    B.C. Premier More Hopeful For Softwood Lumber Deal Under Trump Than Obama
    VANCOUVER — Canada is more likely to reach a lasting solution for the softwood lumber trade dispute with the United States now that President Donald Trump is in power instead of Barack Obama, says British Columbia Premier Christy Clark.

    B.C. Premier More Hopeful For Softwood Lumber Deal Under Trump Than Obama

    Man Faces Murder Charge In Winnipeg Woman's Disappearance Last Year

    Man Faces Murder Charge In Winnipeg Woman's Disappearance Last Year
    Christine Wood, from Oxford House First Nation, was last seen by family in Winnipeg on Aug. 19.

    Man Faces Murder Charge In Winnipeg Woman's Disappearance Last Year

    Canadian Aid Agencies Prepare For Influx Of Syrian Refugees After U.S. Airstrikes

    Canadian Aid Agencies Prepare For Influx Of Syrian Refugees After U.S. Airstrikes
    Canadian aid workers in the Middle East are preparing for an influx of asylum-seekers into already crowded camps, fearing U.S. military action in Syria could drive more people out of the wartorn country.

    Canadian Aid Agencies Prepare For Influx Of Syrian Refugees After U.S. Airstrikes