Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 May, 2025 01:30 PM
  • Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall

Alberta is bringing in new rules this fall to ensure only “age-appropriate” books are available in school libraries.

Education Minister Demetrios Nicolaides said Monday the move was spurred by four graphic coming-of-age novels, most of which depict sexual LGBTQ+ content, found in circulation in Edmonton and Calgary public schools.

Nicolaides, speaking in Calgary, said a group of parents had approached him with concerns about the novels and government employees were sent to schools to confirm the books were available.

"These materials contain nudity and graphic explicit depictions of sexual acts and images, including oral sex," Nicolaides said, adding there was also concern about depictions of molestation, self-harm, drug and alcohol use, and derogatory language.

The novels are all by American authors: "Gender Queer" by Maia Kobabe, "Fun Home" by Alison Bechdel, "Blankets" by Craig Thompson and "Flamer" by Mike Curato.

Nicolaides said the government is developing new standards for school officials to determine the appropriateness of library materials. He said the province plans to have the new rules in place in time for the next school year. 

The government also launched an online survey on Monday to gather input from Albertans.

The survey, which is set to close June 6, features 13 questions, including how sexually explicit books should be handled and if parental consent should be required. It also asks who people think should be responsible for determining if a book is age appropriate, with suggested options of teachers, librarians, other school officials, parents or students.

The minister was adamant the government isn't embarking on a widespread book ban.

Nicolaides said the government is building missing guardrails, as there is no provincewide standard for determining age appropriateness.

"I want to be clear right from the onset — this is not a question of banning specific books or specific titles but rather establishing clear policies and guidelines for all school divisions to follow."

He said the government doesn't have the authority to ban books from schools.

“We want to ensure transparency for parents, so that they know what is available in their school library, and to have a process for complaints and concerns about book materials and other library materials.”

Nicolaides said the government's concerns are limited to graphic images and depictions of sexual activity. Themes and depictions of graphic violence are "probably not" an issue, he said.

"That's where I think we need to work to draw some of those lines."

When asked if he thinks new standards would see 2SLGBTQ+ specific content prohibited, Nicolaides said he didn't think so.

"This is not related to any kind of particular subject area," he said.

"If there was a book on astrophysics that had graphic sexual content, I would have the exact same concerns."

In a joint statement, trustees from the Edmonton and Calgary public school divisions said the government's announcement came as a "complete surprise," as no concerns had been raised before.

"Both our divisions follow established, rigorous processes to ensure that library resources are age appropriate and relevant for students," said the statement, adding both divisions have processes in place for parents and other members of the community to raise concerns about content.

Both divisions said they have pulled the four graphic novels in question from shelves while the content is reviewed. But a lack of communication from the government undermines the working relationship each has with the education ministry, said the statement.

The government said new rules developed would apply to public, separate, francophone, charter and independent schools but not municipal public libraries.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

PM, senior security officials slated to return to foreign interference inquiry

PM, senior security officials slated to return to foreign interference inquiry
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and members of his inner circle are slated to return to a federal inquiry into foreign interference in coming weeks. A newly published provisional witness list for the next phase of the inquiry's public work indicates senior government bureaucrats and members of national security agencies will also testify.

PM, senior security officials slated to return to foreign interference inquiry

Top adviser says Singh not anxious to launch election, Conservatives issue challenge

Top adviser says Singh not anxious to launch election, Conservatives issue challenge
Jagmeet Singh's top adviser says the NDP leader is not particularly eager to trigger an election, even as the Conservatives challenge him to do just that. Anne McGrath, Singh's principal secretary, says there will be more volatility in Parliament and the odds of an early election have risen.

Top adviser says Singh not anxious to launch election, Conservatives issue challenge

Most of Canada is predicted to have a warmer-than-normal fall: The Weather Network

Most of Canada is predicted to have a warmer-than-normal fall: The Weather Network
Don't put away your summer wardrobe just yet – The Weather Network says most Canadians are in for a warm fall. The network predicts that the majority of Canadians will see a slow transition into autumn as temperatures in most regions are expected to be above normal in the coming weeks. 

Most of Canada is predicted to have a warmer-than-normal fall: The Weather Network

Trudeau says he 'can't wait' to get into it with Poilievre in Parliament

Trudeau says he 'can't wait' to get into it with Poilievre in Parliament
The three-day Liberal caucus retreat in Nanaimo, B.C., was the first chance for Trudeau to address his MPs as a group since they lost a long-held Liberal riding in Toronto to the Conservatives. The loss led to a fractious summer, and the focus of the gathering has been to reunite the party and turn their focus to the Tories.

Trudeau says he 'can't wait' to get into it with Poilievre in Parliament

Robbery at a BC liquor store

Robbery at a BC liquor store
Prince George R-C-M-P say a man has been taken into custody after robbing a liquor store.  R-C-M-P say officers received two reports about a man who seemed to be carrying a firearm showed up on Weisbrod Road close to the Hart Highway and the second report came in suggesting the man robbed a nearby liquor store. 

Robbery at a BC liquor store

B.C. court declares mistrial in shooting deaths of teenager bystander and gangster

B.C. court declares mistrial in shooting deaths of teenager bystander and gangster
A British Columbia Supreme Court judge has declared a mistrial in the case of Kane Carter, who was accused of murdering a gang member and an innocent teenager who was passing by in his parents' vehicle. The jury came back Tuesday saying it was deadlocked after five days of deliberations in Carter's trial.

B.C. court declares mistrial in shooting deaths of teenager bystander and gangster