Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 May, 2025 01:30 PM
  • Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall

Alberta is bringing in new rules this fall to ensure only “age-appropriate” books are available in school libraries.

Education Minister Demetrios Nicolaides said Monday the move was spurred by four graphic coming-of-age novels, most of which depict sexual LGBTQ+ content, found in circulation in Edmonton and Calgary public schools.

Nicolaides, speaking in Calgary, said a group of parents had approached him with concerns about the novels and government employees were sent to schools to confirm the books were available.

"These materials contain nudity and graphic explicit depictions of sexual acts and images, including oral sex," Nicolaides said, adding there was also concern about depictions of molestation, self-harm, drug and alcohol use, and derogatory language.

The novels are all by American authors: "Gender Queer" by Maia Kobabe, "Fun Home" by Alison Bechdel, "Blankets" by Craig Thompson and "Flamer" by Mike Curato.

Nicolaides said the government is developing new standards for school officials to determine the appropriateness of library materials. He said the province plans to have the new rules in place in time for the next school year. 

The government also launched an online survey on Monday to gather input from Albertans.

The survey, which is set to close June 6, features 13 questions, including how sexually explicit books should be handled and if parental consent should be required. It also asks who people think should be responsible for determining if a book is age appropriate, with suggested options of teachers, librarians, other school officials, parents or students.

The minister was adamant the government isn't embarking on a widespread book ban.

Nicolaides said the government is building missing guardrails, as there is no provincewide standard for determining age appropriateness.

"I want to be clear right from the onset — this is not a question of banning specific books or specific titles but rather establishing clear policies and guidelines for all school divisions to follow."

He said the government doesn't have the authority to ban books from schools.

“We want to ensure transparency for parents, so that they know what is available in their school library, and to have a process for complaints and concerns about book materials and other library materials.”

Nicolaides said the government's concerns are limited to graphic images and depictions of sexual activity. Themes and depictions of graphic violence are "probably not" an issue, he said.

"That's where I think we need to work to draw some of those lines."

When asked if he thinks new standards would see 2SLGBTQ+ specific content prohibited, Nicolaides said he didn't think so.

"This is not related to any kind of particular subject area," he said.

"If there was a book on astrophysics that had graphic sexual content, I would have the exact same concerns."

In a joint statement, trustees from the Edmonton and Calgary public school divisions said the government's announcement came as a "complete surprise," as no concerns had been raised before.

"Both our divisions follow established, rigorous processes to ensure that library resources are age appropriate and relevant for students," said the statement, adding both divisions have processes in place for parents and other members of the community to raise concerns about content.

Both divisions said they have pulled the four graphic novels in question from shelves while the content is reviewed. But a lack of communication from the government undermines the working relationship each has with the education ministry, said the statement.

The government said new rules developed would apply to public, separate, francophone, charter and independent schools but not municipal public libraries.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Witnesses sought in hit and run

Witnesses sought in hit and run
Police are looking for witnesses after investigators determined that a man found dead off the Coquihalla Highway last month was the victim of a hit-and-run. The B-C Highway Patrol say the man was found just off the roadway near a highway exit in Merritt on August 30th.

Witnesses sought in hit and run

First degree murder charge in Restaurant shooting

First degree murder charge in Restaurant shooting
A man has been convicted of first-degree murder in the fatal shooting of another man at a Richmond sushi restaurant.  Jian Jun Zhu was killed in the September 2020 shooting at Manzo restaurant where another victim was also shot but survived.

First degree murder charge in Restaurant shooting

2 men charged with assault in stabbing

2 men charged with assault in stabbing
Police in New Westminster have charged two men with assault in a stabbing described as an "unprovoked attack by a stranger." Police say officers were flagged down on the night of July 30th to assist someone suffering from a stab wound in the abdomen.

2 men charged with assault in stabbing

Homicide in Agassiz

Homicide in Agassiz
Police in Agassiz say a man has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of a woman in a case of possible intimate partner violence. Mounties say police were called to a home at the Seabird Island Band in April and found a 33-year-old woman dead at the scene.

Homicide in Agassiz

In message of hope, Singh says challenge ahead is convincing people NDP can win

In message of hope, Singh says challenge ahead is convincing people NDP can win
Jagmeet Singh is delivering a message of hope today in his first speech following the NDP's exit from its supply and confidence deal with the minority Liberals. But the NDP leader acknowledges one of the party's biggest challenges will be persuading Canadians it can actually form government. 

In message of hope, Singh says challenge ahead is convincing people NDP can win

BC United MLA Dan Davies runs as Independent, sees himself as possible 'powerbroker'

BC United MLA Dan Davies runs as Independent, sees himself as possible 'powerbroker'
A third BC United legislator has declared his candidacy as an Independent in the Oct. 19 provincial election. Dan Davies, first elected in 2017 in the Peace River North riding, says if elected this fall he could become a "powerbroker" in a potential minority government situation.

BC United MLA Dan Davies runs as Independent, sees himself as possible 'powerbroker'