Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 May, 2025 01:30 PM
  • Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall

Alberta is bringing in new rules this fall to ensure only “age-appropriate” books are available in school libraries.

Education Minister Demetrios Nicolaides said Monday the move was spurred by four graphic coming-of-age novels, most of which depict sexual LGBTQ+ content, found in circulation in Edmonton and Calgary public schools.

Nicolaides, speaking in Calgary, said a group of parents had approached him with concerns about the novels and government employees were sent to schools to confirm the books were available.

"These materials contain nudity and graphic explicit depictions of sexual acts and images, including oral sex," Nicolaides said, adding there was also concern about depictions of molestation, self-harm, drug and alcohol use, and derogatory language.

The novels are all by American authors: "Gender Queer" by Maia Kobabe, "Fun Home" by Alison Bechdel, "Blankets" by Craig Thompson and "Flamer" by Mike Curato.

Nicolaides said the government is developing new standards for school officials to determine the appropriateness of library materials. He said the province plans to have the new rules in place in time for the next school year. 

The government also launched an online survey on Monday to gather input from Albertans.

The survey, which is set to close June 6, features 13 questions, including how sexually explicit books should be handled and if parental consent should be required. It also asks who people think should be responsible for determining if a book is age appropriate, with suggested options of teachers, librarians, other school officials, parents or students.

The minister was adamant the government isn't embarking on a widespread book ban.

Nicolaides said the government is building missing guardrails, as there is no provincewide standard for determining age appropriateness.

"I want to be clear right from the onset — this is not a question of banning specific books or specific titles but rather establishing clear policies and guidelines for all school divisions to follow."

He said the government doesn't have the authority to ban books from schools.

“We want to ensure transparency for parents, so that they know what is available in their school library, and to have a process for complaints and concerns about book materials and other library materials.”

Nicolaides said the government's concerns are limited to graphic images and depictions of sexual activity. Themes and depictions of graphic violence are "probably not" an issue, he said.

"That's where I think we need to work to draw some of those lines."

When asked if he thinks new standards would see 2SLGBTQ+ specific content prohibited, Nicolaides said he didn't think so.

"This is not related to any kind of particular subject area," he said.

"If there was a book on astrophysics that had graphic sexual content, I would have the exact same concerns."

In a joint statement, trustees from the Edmonton and Calgary public school divisions said the government's announcement came as a "complete surprise," as no concerns had been raised before.

"Both our divisions follow established, rigorous processes to ensure that library resources are age appropriate and relevant for students," said the statement, adding both divisions have processes in place for parents and other members of the community to raise concerns about content.

Both divisions said they have pulled the four graphic novels in question from shelves while the content is reviewed. But a lack of communication from the government undermines the working relationship each has with the education ministry, said the statement.

The government said new rules developed would apply to public, separate, francophone, charter and independent schools but not municipal public libraries.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Number of active blazes down

Number of active blazes down
The number of active wildfires continues to tick down. There are 240 active blazes across B-C, with 35 classified as burning out of control.

Number of active blazes down

Earthquake warning system providing seconds of warning is activated in B.C.

Earthquake warning system providing seconds of warning is activated in B.C.
B.C. Minister of Emergency Management and Climate Readiness Bowinn Ma says seismologists have been warning for decades of a major earthquake in the province, and the new system will give "crucial seconds, to 10 seconds" of warning in which to "drop, cover and hold on."

Earthquake warning system providing seconds of warning is activated in B.C.

Former correctional officer charged after B.C. smuggling investigation

Former correctional officer charged after B.C. smuggling investigation
A former correctional officer is facing nine charges including obstruction of justice as part of a criminal organization and accepting a bribe, after a smuggling investigation in British Columbia. Mounties say the arrest is the result of a collaboration between Chilliwack RCMP and the Correctional Service of Canada following the discovery of evidence consistent with a correctional officer smuggling drugs, weapons, and cellphones to inmates within an institution in the Fraser Valley.

Former correctional officer charged after B.C. smuggling investigation

Vancouver police investigate early morning shooting death in Downtown Eastside

Vancouver police investigate early morning shooting death in Downtown Eastside
Vancouver police say a man is dead after an early morning shooting in the Downtown Eastside.  Police say the shooting happened at Carall and East Cordova streets, and investigators responded to a call around 3:30 a.m. 

Vancouver police investigate early morning shooting death in Downtown Eastside

Alleged child luring in Summerland

Alleged child luring in Summerland
Mounties in Summerland are warning the public to be on the lookout for a man who was allegedly involved in trying to lure a child. R-C-M-P say they received a call about a suspicious male approaching a young girl in a local park in Summerland where he asked the child to come with him.

Alleged child luring in Summerland

Canada says it respects Mexican sovereignty, amid constitutional reform controversy

Canada says it respects Mexican sovereignty, amid constitutional reform controversy
Global Affairs Canada says the federal government respects Mexican sovereignty and has no intention of intervening in that country's internal affairs around proposed constitutional reforms. The comments come a day after Mexico's president told reporters Tuesday he has put relations with the Canadian and U.S. embassies "on pause" because of comments from the two countries about a proposed judicial overhaul.

Canada says it respects Mexican sovereignty, amid constitutional reform controversy